pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Time for a PFIC miss farallones trip? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:29 pm
ark

I can't do it tommorow. Maybe another time. Let me know guys if you head out again with Capt Ted.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:15 pm
kin

hey guys...sorry i couldn't make it this morning, i had to work overtime until 1 in the morn, i couldn't even get up when the time came around. i hope you guys had a blast, hopefully, i'll be able to make it next time.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:26 pm
mtnviewfisher

Met alot of the folks on the board, all very cool and also caught some fish.

Only two minor complaints:
1) That is a freakin' "head" boat, I don't know how many people were on that thing but there were quite a few. Although it seemed like most knew what they were doing and so line tangles were kept to a minimum.

2) Parking in the city sucks. For those of us who don't know the area too well and don't know where the free parking is we have to park in the garages. The boat captain said he didn't have any parking validations left...I paid $30 buck in parking for a $20 fishing trip. My suggestion would be to be sure you either know where the free parking is or be sure that you're with a few people to split the parking fee wtih.

But aside from these two minor complaints I had a really good time and would like to meet up with up with any of these fellas again...anytime, anyplace.

Thanks for setting it up Pat.

MtnViewFisher
MtnViewFisher@gmail.com
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:10 pm
notsosmart

Dang, I missed a good trip. Any pic's and reports?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:02 pm
salty nick

Nice meeting you, mtnviewfisher - where were you from again? Doh!
Agree with everything you said. Lots o' people, luckily most of them knew what they were doing (unlike myself). Parking in the city sucks. I wouldn't mind doing it again, if I could find less expensive parking (I was also in the $30 lot, but I paid $3.50 at Walgreen's for a $3 off validation - huh?).
Mostly blues, blacks and browns were what I saw being caught, a keeper and few undersize lings, and the nice halibut that won the pot. Saw Bungle get a nice, fat blue or black.
Thanks to Redfish, Pat and Patrick for the tips for this beginner.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:38 pm
gyozadude

I missed the boat by 10 seconds. That was my party of 3 at the top of the steps as the boat pulled away.

I was pretty pissed. My first time out of SF and we drove around for 15 minutes looking for parking and missed the boat by 10 seconds. I thought about shouting, but the boat was so packed, I waved at thCrw and just called it a morning, and went and had breakfast instead. Not sure if thCrw saw me up top.

When I first drove by, there were a bunch of folks up top waiting and blocking the sign. I didn't know where the boat was, and so I circled, and finally asked someone the best place to park - yepp $5/hr around the corner. The fact that I had a party of 3 basically killed my timing. We couldn't take my little truck (a 2 seater), and so all the rods got tangled in transfer to a tiny compact sedan for the 3 of us and that ate time getting in and out and transferring stuff.

Maybe next time, but now that I see the logistics, unless I can get a van to drop me off curbside, I'm more wary of the situation.

But on a positive note, I did find the urge to take a broken garage sale rod that a neighbour gave away, and I stripped it and made a kid's loaner charter rod out of it. It has a short butt better suited for shorter arms. I actually brought it this morning in case someone needed it, but the boat was gone. The rod is just a little over 5 ft, and has a nice soft flex for upto 20 lb test. I'm now looking to rig a long power handle onto a cheap reel and spool up with 15 lb test for a kid 10 years and young to use.

Maybe next time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:23 am
mtnviewfisher

James, really sorry you missed the trip. It really was a cool one (with the exception of my minor issues). Hopefully Pat will set up another one sometime soon and we'll be able to get the ride-sharing nailed down.

Salty Nick, I'm from Lake Tahoe...LOL. It was nice meeting you too. I think you're alot more experienced than you admit. You were sure fishing like a pro. Maybe we can hook up soon and hit the Marin Headlands, I've never been out that way.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:53 am
red fish

WTG-on the halibut catch. The underdog prevailed!! All the experts with the steelhead rods had to take the backseat to the baitrunner with braid and the uglystik spinner boatrod. Fish and the pot, not bad Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:06 am
patrick333

It was a fun trip even with all the issues mentioned above. Good thing is most of the PFIC members were on the starboard side of the boat, I just can't imagine how it would be fishing with those people that were using 2 oz slider sinker and steel leader.[/quote]
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:23 am
bungle

Sorry you missed the boat by mere seconds, James. Pat did in fact see you up there, and told the Capt., but to no avail.

Hey Red, thanks for hookin' Matt up with the bait. He was really appreciative of that. And he's stoked on the board now, too.

Sorry that I didn't get to touch base with everyone I wanted to. Said wut up to a few folks, and then was pretty much anchored down to my spot for the trip. Had a blast though (thanks for getting the ball rolling on this one, Pat), definately gonna have to do it again!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:58 pm
thecrw

Kaw! Kaw!

Had a blast, it was short but sweet!

Man, the boat was packed, but we did get FISH!

Instilled more confidence in the "Miss" Farallones, might have to do it again.

James, I didn't see you and was asking for ya - next time!

Yeah, the parking can be a problem, especiall first timers. I also missed the prime parking spaces, but knew where else to go.

I'll give a heads up to PFCrs I know rather than putting it on the board for all to see.

We fished the the rocks close be the manmade abandoned tower in about 20' - 30' of water. People were complaing about losing rigs but that the name of the game when ur "rock" fishing.

Tip: When the boat starts moving or you hear the engine revving, or your lines start to angle, reel up fast, the boat is repositioning and therefore draggin you along the rocks = snag.

I still lost about 4 scampis before switching over to 3 ways (cheaper loss)

Thanks to OCD, we had a bucket up front w/ aerator, but it still got emptied fast.

I took home 4 nice rf, threw a bunch back, couple undersize underling (bk o c), and a fat Cabbie.

This place is definately doable by kayak off China Beach and I'll be returing soon.

Great to meet new faces and some ol ones.

~Pat, good job, but let's not blow it up as much next time - lol
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:33 pm
marv

Crap I didnt hear about this trip till now. D'oh!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:38 am
fakefisherman

Wow Marv, where you been?! Yah I should've told you about the trip. I wasn't able to make it this time around.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:54 am
reelhabit

Thanks for the invite Pat and good to finally meet you in person.

I'll add my 2 cents, The deckhands could have a done a much better job keeping the bait buckets full and then some.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:55 pm
phishinpat

reelhabit wrote:
Thanks for the invite Pat and good to finally meet you in person.

I'll add my 2 cents, The deckhands could have a done a much better job keeping the bait buckets full and then some.

Good meeting ya too Rod and happy birthday. Yeah, for sure Scotty and his buddies should have kept up with the bait situation. I had to ask him two or three times to get fresh live bait. One time he told me there's some left, I told to look, are they swimming or floating...hehe.

Yeah, I blew up another one...hahaha. But it was fun though, except when the guy was snagged to my right and would jerk the rod right infront of my face. I was worried the line would snap and rod would coming flyin at my face and dude would've been swimming...

Sorry, you missed the boat James, I told the cpt. but he wasn't having it. Parking totally sucks. I went late one time and my buddy parked in the garage. Forgot about voucher from cpt. ted and ended up paying 25bucks.

Cpt. Ted needs to make sure he has enough vouchers for every paying customers. Sorry bout the parking situation fellas.

Until next time...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 6 of 6  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Jump to: