Ken is an educator, writer, and former business owner. Born in Indiana (so an Indiana Jones), he’s lived most of his life in California where he has been a fisherman for more than 60 years. He’s been married for 55 years to his lovely wife Pat, he’s the father of Mike and Kim, and grandfather to Serena, Adam, Daphne and Katie.
Author of Pier Fishing in California, 1st and 2nd editions, and owner/ operator of the Pier Fishing In California website (pierfishing.com). He’s fished on 130 saltwater piers in California and caught 131 different species from those piers. If the Carquinez Strait/Suisun Bay/West Delta piers are included, it would be 137 piers and 142 different species. To his friends and followers he’s earned and is honored by the title of head “Pier Rat” and “Skipper.”
As well as a book author, Ken’s written for many magazines including Western Saltwater Fisherman, California Angler, Western Outdoor News, Fish Rap Newspaper and Fish Taco Chronicles.
He’s also the owner/operator of the fishing blog—kenjonesfishing.com
Ken has been involved with a number of fishery issues in California and has served on a number of committees including the California Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp Committee (BDSFES), California Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) North Central Coast Stakeholders Group, California Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Statewide Interests Group (SIG), California Ocean Uses Atlas project for Northern California, Southern California and Central California (NOAA), California Recreational Fish Implementation Team (NOAA), Recreational Fishing Regional Roundtable,(NOAA), and Recreational Fishing Alliance Advisory Board.
United Pier and Shore Anglers of California (UPSAC): Founder, President and Board Member, 2003-Present.
Outdoor Writers Association of California (OWAC): Past President, Vice President, Board Member, and member.
Ken graduated with a B.S. in Organizational Development from University of San Francisco and a M.S. in Education from Dominican College, San Rafael.
His favorite motto is “The Largest Room In The World Is The Room For Improvement.”
Selected articles written by others which reference Ken Jones.
- Oceanside Pier young anglers tournament a fishing community effort – Western Outdoor News, Gary Graham, Aug 17, 2010
- Pier pressure – ESPN Outdoors, James Swan, Aug 15, 2009
- Captain’s Log: New Angler Center Adds to Allure of Goleta Pier – Noozhawk, David Bacon, Sep 11, 2008
- Fifth Annual Young Anglers Tournament – Sign On San Diego, Ed Zieralski, Sep 29, 2007
- ChronicleWatch / Working for a better Bay Area – SFGate, Jim Herron Zamora, Sep 12, 2007
- Big threshers stirring up ocean reports – Sign On San Diego, Ed Zieralski, May 12, 2006
- Young anglers happily hooked fishing off South Bay pier – Sign On San Diego, Ed Zieralski, Sep 18, 2005
- No boats necessary – Sign On San Diego, Ed Zieralski, Jan 22, 2005
- Grand stands by the sea – Los Angeles Times, Duane Noriyuki, Jun 12, 2003
- Fishing Season Brings Anglers Of All Ages To The Pier – Coronado Eagle, Sean Caey, Aug 5, 1998