Ken has frequently mentioned that one of the best places to fish for halibut is between the pilings.
- Does this mean dropping bait straight down, or casting back under the pier?
- Hooking a large, fresh fish close to the pier would seem to risk having it wrap around pilings. How do you discourage them from doing this?
- Halibut have a reputation for taking a test nibble before making a solid bite. At the risk of asking you to put years of experience in words:
- How do you tell that a nibble is a halibut?
- What do you do when you feel the nibble (give slack/take in slack)?
- Is there anything different about this when you are fishing close to or under the pier?