pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> How Many SF Bay Anglers Support the Bay Perch Closure? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 pm
bass_turd77

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

This closure was implemented years ago, and contributed to the destruction of perch as a viable fishery to the people of San Francisco, specifically pier and shore anglers with limited access and transportation, such as the children and retired folk. At the time of implementation, it was presented as a emergency "conservation" measure. Since that time, limits have been increased outside of the Golden Gate, netting of nearshore shiners has resumed, and no population studies that I am aware of have been done. Commercial exploitation has continued unabated, even during times of closure to sport fishermen. I have spoken to NMFS personel, who inform me that this closure is now intended to be permanent. I feel this is patently unfair to the people of the bay area. If they mean to deny the people of the SF Bay area of this fishery, they should equally close it to coastal anglers and commercial exploitation until serious studies show that populations have rebounded to "acceptable" levels. As it is, these regulations have no effect on species recovery, deny law abiding anglers opportunity, and encourage poaching.

Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: