pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> how to cook dog shark [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:13 am
The_Rev

going to eat the shark i caught the other night, but have never prepped one before. I skinned and gutted him and am not sure the best way to go from here. should I bake or broil "mini steaks" or just grill the whole thing?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:52 am
illcatchanything2

Both ways are good. I prefer grilled myself, but thats just me (anything off a grill is good Smile ) I do have a question/comment. Did you bleed the shark right after it was caught? If not, you may notice an ammonia taste to the meat. If you do, dont let it put you off them, just remember to bleed them right after they come out of the water next time you catch one. Hope you enjoy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:38 pm
The_Rev

yeah, i didn't know how to bleed him exactly, but i knew if i was going to keep him i needed to, so i just gutted him and cleaned him shortly after i caught him...probably 30mins. do you think that was too long to wait?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:57 pm
CRASS

i usually just slit the gills to bleed em out. some guys like to do just one so they pump it out on their own, but 2 works just fine for me.

i also like to just take the meat off like you would a sturgeon. if you puncture the stomach & it gets in contact with the meat it ruins it.

alotta guys like to tie em on the tail and let em bleed in the water, but sharks blood is a deterrent for other sharks.. so its counter productive for catching. Wink

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 am
illcatchanything2

The_Rev wrote:
yeah, i didn't know how to bleed him exactly, but i knew if i was going to keep him i needed to, so i just gutted him and cleaned him shortly after i caught him...probably 30mins. do you think that was too long to wait?

You should be ok. Next time just "scramble" the gills with a knife right after you make the decision to keep it and let the bllod pump out. Also, after it is bled, keep it as cool as possible. BTW, you can also soak the filets in milk in the fridge overnight before cooking just to be sure.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: