pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Grandma's Rod Wrapping - The Legend - (Warning 56k Users) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am
grammar police

The Legend, "Grandma" Jennie Acosta (Master Rod Builder 40+yrs)

Grandma has been wrapping rods for almost all the major brands for more than 40 years. Her specialty is tight weaves and patented designs sold to Seeker, Melton International Tackle (MIT) and CalStar. She uses a variety of blanks usually driven by what MIT uses for their top end customs. Some of the blanks I have heard her mention wrapping or I have and fish regularly are Wade Rods (Made by Seeker's original owner Wade Cunningham), Seeker, CalStar, and Shikari.

I found out that the first time she ever wrapped a flag pattern was for the 1984 LA Olympics. She wrapped only one flag rod back then, and gave it to my grandfather for his dedicated boat rod. Then shortly after 9/11, she was inspired to try and recreate or reverse engineer the design some 17 years later. Being the master she is, it was only a matter of time before she re-perfected it and added to the design. Keeping with the 9/11 theme she did some in flag colors using a tight chevron weave (see below).

So I have shown and described the two rods I mainly use from Grandma. These following rods are the 5 I picked up this past weekend. 4 are up for grabs, but two are spoken for... or rather on hold for the friends who requested I purchase some rods from Grandma and bring them up North.

If you are interested in a rod, or need more info feel free to either email me, PM me here, or call me if you have the digits. I am not in the rod selling business, nor wrapping business. I am not making money off these rods, just doing a friend a favor and trying to hook up some NorCal fishing buddies. I am however going to donate 10% of the proceeds to the UPSAC. These are brand new rods, unused. A couple have been around her shop for a while, and may need new butts. I just need to get over to the rod rack to purchase the right ones or maybe Gdude can assist.

1. CalStar Grafighter 700M Conventional - 7' 1 piece 20-50# Ex-Fast Action - 9 Fuji SIC guides (8 + tip) triple wrapped in Black/Metallic Blue/Blue-silver. Fuji DPS20 reel seat.

"Graphite and fiberglass from butt to tip. Grafighters are state of the art fishing rods, built with a level of strength, durability and performance unmatched! These rods are light in weight, yet provide a strong recoil for landing the big ones!"

Fast Action Live Bait Rod - E-Glass

2. Wade Cunningham (Seeker) BSC270 Conventional - 7' 1 piece 12-30# Fast Action (Sensitive tip great for sturgeon fishing) - 9 Perfection guides (8 + tip) triple wrapped in Black/Teal. Fuji DPS22 reel seat. This rod is still butt-less. I am pretty sure I will have it set up with a covered gimble rod butt, but may wait to give the owner a preference.

"DEALER ONLY SALTWATER RODS. Built with the Original California Tackle tooling and designs, these rods are the standard of West Coast fishing. We are pleased to offer these time tested actions, built with the legendary Seeker pride-in-workmanship. PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA."

3. Wade Cunningham (Seeker) BSC6465 Conventional - 6'6" 1 piece 20-50# Fast Action - 9 Perfection guides (8 + tip) triple wrapped in Red/White/Blue. Cork wrapped handle. Red/White/Blue Weaved Chevron pattern. Butt cracked, new one on the way.

"DEALER ONLY SALTWATER RODS. Built with the Original California Tackle tooling and designs, these rods are the standard of West Coast fishing. We are pleased to offer these time tested actions, built with the legendary Seeker pride-in-workmanship. PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA."

4. Wade Cunningham (Seeker) BSC6465 Conventional - 6'6" 1 piece 20-50# Fast Action - 9 Perfection guides (8 + tip) triple wrapped in Red/White/Blue. Cork wrapped handle. Red/White/Blue Weaved Flag pattern with Black background. Butt cracked off, new one on the way.

Fast Action Live Bait Rod - Deckhand style (Cork wrap no reel seat) E-Glass

5. Wade Cunningham (Seeker) BSC870 Conventional - 7' 1 piece 15-40# Fast Action - 9 Perfection guides (8 + tip) triple wrapped in Black/Blue-Silver. Cork wrapped handle. Red/White/Blue Weaved Flag pattern with Blue background.

Last edited by grammar police on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:59 am
rock hopper

WOW! VERY nice work.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:19 am

Your Grandmother is truly the artist.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:38 am
jelorian

Awesome work!! I really like the red/white/blue wraps!!

Is still still building rods? I would love to have a custom rod made someday and I'm thinking that my first choice would be her...that is if she still makes customs.

What are the prices on the ones for sale?

Thanks!

Jel
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:43 pm
grammar police

Jel,

First off, grandma would give me some crazy lowball price for asking her to wrap me a rod. So trying to estimate a re-wrap job for you would be like playing the lotto.

I do know, every time I am down there she tells me "I quit wrapping... and I trashed all my equipment and supplies!" I'll then casually stroll to the covered patio/rod shop at the back of the house and see she was telling fibs. She has been preparing herself for the past year or so, to finish wrapping once and for all. I sometimes think she misses it and does it for the joy of it. I know she hates doing some of the custom production rods for the companies, yet loves to wrap a one of a kind for a friend or family member. This past weekend I was down there and she had a 10 pack of rods I could see her lacing with Melton colors. I knew one of the Melton boys must have called her crying along the lines of "...But Jennie, we have already sold 5 of the rods and have none in stock, could you please, please, please wrap for us one last time?" just to be repeated in a month or so. I must admitt MIT does pay her well for their top end rods. I know she refusses to wrap smaller/cheaper rods for they will not pay the same. I have heard her wrap rods for some SoCal tuna experts on barter, anything form extra blanks, to fish, to electronics. She is a modest woman and loves her work, yet at the same time longs to retire. It is no longer an art to her. She has done it all! And I don't blame her.

The best I could do for you, is bring the rod down there to her, beg, plead, beg some more... obviously telling her it was my pride and joy rod. Hoping she'd take the bait! Wink Then I'd tip her... and charge you double! Kidding of course. I will ask her later this week when I call her, try and get and indication for you. Please don't come to me with a $15 walmart special, for she can spot a cheapie from a mile away!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:47 am
gyozadude

Nice! If you have any left after I come back from Vancouver... we need to chat. I guarantee a great home for one of them.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:27 am

saw the rods in person yesterday... and they definitely do not disappoint.

i figure joey, if you still have one mid august i'll grab one.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:00 am
grammar police

gyozadude wrote:
Nice! If you have any left after I come back from Vancouver... we need to chat. I guarantee a great home for one of them.

I could hold you one James! I owe you anyways... For the rainshadow. I can't say enough about that rod...

The two I think I will have the hardest getting rid of are the 6465's with the deckhand wrap.

I need to call you and discuss some rod building questions I have. To include possible fixes for these rod butts.

When are you back?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:02 am
grammar police

1014 wrote:
saw the rods in person yesterday... and they definitely do not disappoint.

i figure joey, if you still have one mid august i'll grab one.

Walking up to the steps w/ 5 rods. "Dude what are you doing? going to charter a group or what?" LMAO

Had a good time last night Niel, thank Dave again for me!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:28 am
jelorian

grammar police wrote:
Jel,

First off, grandma would give me some crazy lowball price for asking her to wrap me a rod. So trying to estimate a re-wrap job for you would be like playing the lotto.

I do know, every time I am down there she tells me "I quit wrapping... and I trashed all my equipment and supplies!" I'll then casually stroll to the covered patio/rod shop at the back of the house and see she was telling fibs. She has been preparing herself for the past year or so, to finish wrapping once and for all. I sometimes think she misses it and does it for the joy of it. I know she hates doing some of the custom production rods for the companies, yet loves to wrap a one of a kind for a friend or family member. This past weekend I was down there and she had a 10 pack of rods I could see her lacing with Melton colors. I knew one of the Melton boys must have called her crying along the lines of "...But Jennie, we have already sold 5 of the rods and have none in stock, could you please, please, please wrap for us one last time?" just to be repeated in a month or so. I must admitt MIT does pay her well for their top end rods. I know she refusses to wrap smaller/cheaper rods for they will not pay the same. I have heard her wrap rods for some SoCal tuna experts on barter, anything form extra blanks, to fish, to electronics. She is a modest woman and loves her work, yet at the same time longs to retire. It is no longer an art to her. She has done it all! And I don't blame her.

The best I could do for you, is bring the rod down there to her, beg, plead, beg some more... obviously telling her it was my pride and joy rod. Hoping she'd take the bait! Wink Then I'd tip her... and charge you double! Kidding of course. I will ask her later this week when I call her, try and get and indication for you. Please don't come to me with a $15 walmart special, for she can spot a cheapie from a mile away!

Thanks for all the info, gp! Hats off to your grandma. She is one cool lady!!

I'll make sure I get in contact with you when I'm ready for a custom. Hopefully I'll have an arsenal of compliments for your grandma to hopefully convince her. Smile

I was supposed to hook up with you guys last night but I couldn't get out of work.

Nice report!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:06 am
red fish

Beautiful work Joey. Your grandma is truly talented. It is like learning about the history of rod-wrapping.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:01 am
gyozadude

grammar police wrote:
gyozadude wrote:

I could hold you one James! I owe you anyways... For the rainshadow. I can't say enough about that rod...

The two I think I will have the hardest getting rid of are the 6465's with the deckhand wrap.

I need to call you and discuss some rod building questions I have. To include possible fixes for these rod butts.

When are you back?

I don't know if I'm coming back. The salmon runs up in B.C. are hot. I think I timed it perfectly. The pinks are just in full swing this weekend and should last for 3 more weeks. Sporadic catches of chinook indicate the that the big runs should be running -really- soon, like maybe by this weekend, so I'll have two species to catch.

Headed out this morning at dawn and was greeted by almost 2 dozen other anglers. But with miles of coastline, it certainly wasn't Pacifica or Freeport. Most were in boats, tubes, yaks, or chest waders. I was the lone guy with simple boots.

But that didn't leave me empty handed. I tossed my custom 11 ft Predator with pink spoons, and nailed 8, fought 4 to shore, and kept 2 pinks, and that was before 9am! Not bad for this California boy since I outfished two boats that were dogging my spot, one with 3 folks, and one with a father and son. The rod was magnificent - tossing 1 oz buzzbombs almost 60 yds effortlessly. I purposely targeted the areas around the boats and made minor splashes, forcing the folks to turn their heads to see if the salmon were jumping. One boat even scraped bottom coming too close into shore, trying to cut me off, but I just cast a fan pattern around them, and picked up another salmon off their starboard stern.

The irony was that there are more than enough salmon for everyone, and they are literally cruising all over. The trick is to cast a lot and work the water constantly. But I'll try to come back one of these days...Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:29 am

awesome g-dude! i too love my predator rod, tho rated lower. i've been getting my 3/4oz perch rigs out about 60 yards. easily my favorite rod.

i have a question for you: how do you rig the buzzbomb? found some online, so i want to use it for salmon this season. they look great for casting. well, i am thinking about throwing on either 20# or 30# braid on my 6600c5(anything to increse casting distance), but the way egg sinkers fray my other braid mainline, that i am thinking of adding a swivel and 15# flourocarbon for the buzzbomb to sit on. any suggestions?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:34 am
gyozadude

1014 wrote:
awesome g-dude! i too love my predator rod, tho rated lower. i've been getting my 3/4oz perch rigs out about 60 yards. easily my favorite rod.

i have a question for you: how do you rig the buzzbomb? found some online, so i want to use it for salmon this season. they look great for casting. well, i am thinking about throwing on either 20# or 30# braid on my 6600c5(anything to increse casting distance), but the way egg sinkers fray my other braid mainline, that i am thinking of adding a swivel and 15# flourocarbon for the buzzbomb to sit on. any suggestions?

Instructions for rigging are on the package, or should be. If not, just use some 12 - 20 lb mono, slide it through the center hole in the direction specified on the lure (it has an arrow that points to the direction of the hook), and then slide on the rubber bumper, and then attach the supplied treble hook. For salmon, get some owner or gamakatsu med-long shank spinner bait trailer hooks (or O'Shaunessy) in 3/0 for a size 4 or 3XHE buzzbomb, then pinch down the barb.

My son caught two salmon yesterday. A coho and a big pink. That's me with the Coho posing. They are small. For some reason, they came in last night with some of the Chinook and the pinks. Some of the folks were calling them "Jack Chinooks" but looking inside their mouths, they were dark, but with grey gums, and the fish was all silver. The chinooks have black gums and teeth on their tongues. The boats were also in really close during low tide in the afternoon. Almost 20 feet from shore. One was so close I could see a long, skinny silver and red light spots fish pulled up. A bull trout. But they kept it anyway, even though it was illegal to do so - it wasn't hatchery.

But I guess folks just don't spend the effort to id the fish up here either. So that's Chinook, Coho, and Pink Salmon plus the bull trout all in one spot on the same weekend! We also had rock sole and bullheads caught too!

The lures that seem to be best are buzzbombs and zingers. Hot pink works best for pinks. The cohos and chinooks were hitting orange/pearl and pearl/red stripe. The ideal size for these fish was in the 2 and 2.5 inch size. Not like California salmon which like the bigger size 4 in blue pearl. But having a selection of colours and sizes is good practice.

We were hooking up yesterday a lot and letting the kids get some shore line fighting practice as shown by my neighbour. My son was valiant on a 6 lb male pink last evening, but it spooled out the 15 lb braid and got down to 8lb mono backing, and the seals were waiting out there, so I asked to take over for him, and fought enough line back to get back on the braid, and then the fight was over. All fish released. But the fight was so long on that big pink, that all the kids watching were worried the fish wasn't going to live because it was floating on its side in laboured breaths. But I held it's tail upright in a cool pool for about 3 minutes and gently rocked it back and forth, until it jerked itself free under significant power and swam away into deeper waters. The kids cheered!

The lesson we tried to teach the kids was:
a) it's good to follow regs
b) conserve your catch and only keep what you eat
c) when releasing the fish after a fight, treat them gently, and help revive them to strength before release, otherwise the seals will just pick them off.

In addition, the reason for letting go the big one was that the average pink salmon is 4 - 5 lbs. By keeping the smaller ones but letting the bigger and stronger ones go, we help a little in letting the bigger ones spawn. The females have yet to show up in numbers, which is when I move 200 yds south to the mouth of the creek and fish that area exclusively.

The fish were jumping everywhere too. See the picture above. No zoom on the dig cam, but they were jumping so often and so close the seals would come within 15 ft of shore. The flyrodders are really doing well this year, and everyone is getting them, since they're coming in so close.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:54 am

thanks again g-dude.

i too have an assortment of spinners and buzz bombs for this year. unfortunately, the group i have the least of is the blue stripe that you rec for california king!

i do have to pick up some new hooks tho. i have some 4/0 barbless circles tho, so i might try those as well.

i have yet to spool my c5, because i am flopping between mono and braid. you being a strong proponent of braid, as well as seeing gp casting a mile out at the steps... made me second guess my original choice of 15# mono.

anyways, the whole point of this is i am having mixed feelings about putting the buzzbomb straight on my mainline due to fear of losing both fish and lure due to the fraying that may occur from the buzzbomb. have you experienced this. braid, not being very abrassion resistant, i have encountered some bad experience from carolina rigging in rocky conditions. just would like to know if you recommend the mono leader or should i be ok with straight to mainline.

thanks g-dude. one last question: what do you recommend as a keeping size for king salmon caught in the delta? i know you say release the bigger size, but what is big to you? for example my keeper striper size= 19-24"... everything else released. what would be for salmon?
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: