pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Ferrule cleaning question on old rod [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:44 pm
dompfa ben

I found an old, 2-piece fly rod in the alley behind my folks house a few months ago, and, like so many other projects, hermetically placed it in a corner of my garage.

I pulled it out last night to examine it a little better, and found that it is indeed old, but probably not very valuable. It is a dark honey colored fiberglass blank, 9 feet long, cork grip, with a cheap fly reel seat near the butt. The painted label is mostly worn away, but you can still read "Price 8.95" on the blank above the grip.

It is either an el-cheapo or some priceless antique (I'm going with the former)...but I like the super light action and the length for a corbina rod, and I want to re-wrap it. The color also makes it look like an old Truline, which I like.

Anyway, before I worry about stripping the rod, I want to make sure the ferrule can be cleaned for easy pull apart and hold together at the right time. I'm not really a fan of the big solid hunk of metal in the middle of the rod bend, but still, I think it could be a fun rod just for laughs.

Does anyone have a dependable method for cleaning the ferrule so that it slides smoothly but holds snugly? Right now it doesn't go all the way in, and there really isn't any obvious oxidation on it, so... I don't know whether to sand down with fine grit, oil it, or scrap the whole project for a better blank.

Thanks!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:05 pm
gyozadude

You could try replacing the ferrule. JannsNetcraft.COM sells ferrules and so you could try to heat and remove the old one carefully, and replace it with a new one. That can really make the joint "as good as new".

If the rust isn't that bad, you can use some polishing compound. I reconditioned my first rod ever, a solid glass stick from up in Canada, that had a metal ferrule. I think my big sis bought it for me in 1976 at the Army and Navy store that was not far from the Hudson Bay dept. store on Georgia St., Vancouver. I later re-wrapped and sold it at a garage sale for $10.

You can try using some stick with some tough paper towel wrap around the tip (not too much) and put a dab of compound, then turn the stick inside the female end to clean it out. Example, use a straight short section of bamboo chopstick, and cordless drill and paper towel to turn a big 'swab' with compound inside the ferrule. With enough time and effort, that seems to work. The male end can be polished with a dremel tool and buffing head. I use 3-in-1 oil on rag or paper towel to clean the ferrule, but I go light so as not to get any on the fiberglass blank as oil and the blank might not mix well over a long time.

Real parafin (not candle wax) should help maintain the ferrule.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:24 pm
dompfa ben

Thanks G-dude. It is just the lightest, whippiest rod I've ever found (literally) so I want to see if I can use it to fish 1 and 2 lb. test for line shy corbina, fly-lining sandcrabs Smile
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:31 am
dsrtegl

G-Dude will probably cringe at this but I use automotive grade wet/dry sandpaper of 1500 grit or smaller for such jobs wrapped around a dowell so it JUST makes contact inside the ferrule and use very little pressure. Old ferrules are foten a %*#)% to get off so I usually just leave them alone as they are part of the asthetics of an old rod anyway. Use he same sandpaper for the male end of the ferrule.

Clean both ends well after with denatured alcohol.

Take off the butt end of the rod. Insert a handle extension and you have a spinning rod.

Derek
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:57 pm
gyozadude

dsrtegl wrote:
G-Dude will probably cringe at this but I use automotive grade wet/dry sandpaper of 1500 grit or smaller for such jobs wrapped around a dowell so it JUST makes contact inside the ferrule and use very little pressure. Old ferrules are foten a %*#)% to get off so I usually just leave them alone as they are part of the asthetics of an old rod anyway. Use he same sandpaper for the male end of the ferrule.

Clean both ends well after with denatured alcohol.

Take off the butt end of the rod. Insert a handle extension and you have a spinning rod.

Derek

That works too. 1500 grit is pretty fine stuff. I just find that the polishing compound works a bit better when you can't find the exact dowel for the ferrule. But otherwise, both should work.

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: