pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> garage sale... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:19 pm

i figure its time someone started this, since we all seem to be tackle hoes to some degree...

anyways, not selling anything yet, but looking for anyone selling penn or newell 4/0 reels? looking for one on the cheaper levels. not to keen on ebay so i'd rather stick to anyone in the bay area.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:29 pm
gyozadude

I was thinking of a garage sale too. Clear out some old tackle and make room for new stuff. But I was looking for smaller Penn levelwinds for a refurbed boat rod I made for a kid's loaner. It's finally out of the motor. Short butt, and thinner grips. I;m looking for a Penn 9m or something like that.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:10 am
grammar police

I'd have a few things for the garage sale too.

I have 5, count them, 5 custom build "Grandma" rods I brought home this weekend (2 Wade Cunningham, 2 Seeker, 1 Calstar). I'm doing a write up on each and will post later tonight. 3 of the 5 are Grandma's special Stars and Stripes!

I too am looking for a 4/0 or 6/0 reel for use on a cork wrap. Must have the old style clamp-on ability. Not sure what this is called, but they are reel-seat-less. Deckhand Rods maybe?
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:39 am
dompfa ben

I'm always on the lookout for 6/0 Newells. I have several Penn 113H reels with Accurate frames on them that I might trade for the right Newell 6/0.

I have had luck picking up things on E-bay (most of which is misrepresented with crap like "never been fished" or "used once"...BS...), and then cleaning and giving them a complete teardown: the ol' denatured alcohol bath for parts, dremel brush when necessary, regrease and new drags. It's done when the spool will spin when you blow on it Smile

So...who's gotta 6/0 Newell? Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:40 am

dompfa ben wrote:

So...who's gotta 6/0 Newell? Smile

hey ben you heading to the big island again? sounds very ulua to me. you might want to check out www.ulua-fishing.com's forum. they are mostly a hawai'i board but i figure if you kick down shipping they would be able to get it to you.

actually, i have teetered between a 4/0 and 6/0 reel too. i want something i can get 300yds of at least 60# (preferred 80#) to slide bait. i am leaning towards a newell since they are comparatively lighter than the workhorse penn. maybe go s-series and upgrade from there.

not too big on ebay, been burned once before. i also figured would be hard to battle those hawai'i guys for some p-series newells to save.

anyways, for the sale portion of the sale i have some spinning set-ups (gears for going 8-12#) i am most assuredly going to sell. gonna inventory it and produce a write up tonight or tomorrow morning.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:33 am
dompfa ben

I fished my uncle's Newells on my recent 7-day, and I was very impressed with the way it put the wood to some big yellowtail. I would like it primarily as a 50 lb. surface bait reel. I have a TLD-30II(2 spd), and a Daiwa SLD-30II(2 spd) that are great, but heavy.

Anglers either love Newells or hate them...there doesn't seem to be a big camp that is ambivalent towards them. They're not necessarily "pretty," they can be loud, and some individual reels need babying to stay alive. Kinda like a VW bug. Without the vapor lock problem Cool
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:42 am

i think we should relay the disclaimer that pierfishing.com has nothing to do with any transactions that go on.

but, hey joey, whats the specs on those poles? i am actually looking for a pole for a daiwa sealine-x 40shv with 30# test running thru it. actually wished i went a little smaller to maybe a 30shv. any suggestions?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:28 am
mel

I am totally against a garage sale board. It makes no sense to me at all why someone would want to do it. I think it's a totally bunk idea. Of course, it doesn't help when I don't have any money to buy anything.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:51 am

come on mel. we could use this page on several levels. some folks are looking for deals and others are looking to unload gear not being used. some folks don't want to go thru the trouble with ebay or other on line sites. i've bought some items from certain folks on the board, simply because i've met them through here. we could always use this site to refer us to certain deals, such as g-dude referring the few of us of the guy he buys drying motors from. furthermore tho, we also have to lay the brick down that this is on everyone's one discretion. if they trust folks then hook up, if not, just don't blame the site.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:33 am
grammar police

I totally agree Neil.

I'd hate to see this go commercialized, or pay-to-advertise.

I'd like to see it keept strictly between friends or individuals of this board and not shops trying to make a living/pay the rent.

FYI: I finished my Grandmas rod write up, just awaiting an email from Ken before I post! Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:49 am
mel

1014 wrote:
come on mel. we could use this page on several levels. some folks are looking for deals and others are looking to unload gear not being used. some folks don't want to go thru the trouble with ebay or other on line sites. i've bought some items from certain folks on the board, simply because i've met them through here. we could always use this site to refer us to certain deals, such as g-dude referring the few of us of the guy he buys drying motors from. furthermore tho, we also have to lay the brick down that this is on everyone's one discretion. if they trust folks then hook up, if not, just don't blame the site.

I was just kidding 1014. I actually think it's a great idea. It would be even better if I had money to buy stuff. Maybe we can have a "donate to Mel" section?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:31 pm

you got me mel!...

actually, could you "donate" to me those striper that seem to follow you?
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:39 am
dsrtegl

G-Dude....I have a ton of Penn reels on my shelf.....let me see if I can find a 9M for you.....Hmmmm.....I could use some more drying motors and a diagram on how to set them up.....Give me a conventional reel and I can make it work....Give me anything to do with electricity without a diagram and I am a menace to society.

NOBODY......NOBODY.....Throw away broken rods....PLEASE......get them to me and I will make them work for something. I just turned some odd pieces of old fly blanks into some great light bluegill rods for some of the local kids here.....Donated I might add.

I have a large number of Penn reels I have refurbs and need to move but I am dubious about using this board to do it.

JMHO
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:54 pm
jaggersden

Dsrtegl, If you want some older poles contact Me.
John
Jmyersca1@aol.com
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:17 am
grammar police

dsrtegl wrote:
G-Dude....I have a ton of Penn reels on my shelf... I have a large number of Penn reels I have refurbs and need to move but I am dubious about using this board to do it.

Dsrtegl,

I'd like to see an inventory of reels you have refurb. I am looking for a reel to fit one of the dech hand rods I am keeping. Something castable and must have reel clamp ability since there are no reel seats on these rods. Let me know what you got! 525mag? Any internationals?

Thanks.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: