pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Pickled Herring [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:56 pm
SurfFisher08

Hey Crew,

Do you need to de-bone your herring before you pickle them prior to eating? I've heard that the rib bones will dissolve in the vinegar/salt brine. I don't want to go all into this pickled herring recipe and then have them all bony. Thanks.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:31 pm
FishermanDan

Deep fry! Or slap em on the Grill, Mmmm.. wait a minute, what Herring? Every time I looked your net was coming up empty! Wink

BTW, I have no idea on the pickling. Heard thats the way to go, along with smoked.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:43 pm
SurfFisher08

Dan, if you don't have an answer then don't try to give me one. If I had all day everyday to fish, then I wouldn't be half bad at it either.

Burned X 10
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:13 am
thefrood

Monkeyface News has a recipe for what Kirk does with his herring... gotta look through the archives on it to find it though. Don't recall if he mentioned anything about the bones...

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:18 pm
t177

Eric, how did it come out?

Speaking of de-boning fish prior to the pickling process, the pickled mackerel (shime saba in Japanese) is made of de-boned filet of mackerel, although I don't know anything about pickled herring. haha
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:08 am
SurfFisher08

Well, I had about 20 or more pounds of herring of all sizes. I cleaned about half of them and the other half went to bait. I split the cleaned ones into 4 bags and sorted them by size. I figured the small ones would be good for pickling and the larger ones better for smoking, grilling, and frying. Last night I went to BevMo and got some of my favorite brews (I'm a huge samuel smith's fan). I filleted 6 of the large ones a fried them up in a cornmeal/flour batter and they were pretty good. They are STRONG though and salting them prior to cooking didn't remove the strong fish taste but I loved it and it tasted great with beer. Definitely not a fish for rookies.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:47 am
FishermanDan

I hear the roe is real popular(and expensive) in Europe. Guess it makes a nice spread, who knew?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 pm
t177

SurfFisher08 wrote:
Well, I had about 20 or more pounds of herring of all sizes. I cleaned about half of them and the other half went to bait. I split the cleaned ones into 4 bags and sorted them by size. I figured the small ones would be good for pickling and the larger ones better for smoking, grilling, and frying. Last night I went to BevMo and got some of my favorite brews (I'm a huge samuel smith's fan). I filleted 6 of the large ones a fried them up in a cornmeal/flour batter and they were pretty good. They are STRONG though and salting them prior to cooking didn't remove the strong fish taste but I loved it and it tasted great with beer. Definitely not a fish for rookies.

Next time, try with grated daikon with some lemon/lime juice and soy sauce. The daikon softens the fishy-ness a little bit. Also, grilling them would get rid of fishy oil rather than adding them by frying them though. Were there any eggs? Those eggs are good!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:45 pm
t177

FishermanDan wrote:
I hear the roe is real popular(and expensive) in Europe. Guess it makes a nice spread, who knew?

They're popular in Japan as well. I love how crunchy they are.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:55 pm
bipnilaga

When you fry them, put a large chunk of smashed ginger in the hot oil, kills the fishy smell and taste.

Also if you like your fish crispy and light without a heavy batter do the following:

1) season freshly dressed fish with salt and pepper
2) coat in a little bit of olive oil
3) put in a large ziplock freezer bag
4) Add powered garlic, paprika
6) Add a couple teaspoons of cornstarch
7) shake!
Cool remove from bag and place on plate
9) let sit in fridge for 10mins

You end up with a light crust. When you fry it up it is flakey and browns nice.

Works for whole fish or fish pieces.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: