pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> tools of the trade [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:42 pm
alantani

a few people have asked about the tools i use for working on fishing reels. i shot a few photos a while back and thought i'd post them. if you like to tinker with reels, you might find something here that might help you out.

first the lubes. i use shimano drag grease on all the carbon fiber drag washers. i'm finally running out and may switch over to cal's grease. it's half the price. corrosion x is the lube i use on all the bearings, level wind assemblys and reel handles. and lastly, there's yamaha engine grease. that goes into all the screw holes and all the other non-exposed metal surfaces. it stays blue forever. i can open up a reel and know immediately if i've worked on it before or not.

here's my tool rack. i found some hard blue styrofoam at work, don't remember where the box came from, drew a 1 inch grid and started punching holes. it forces me to be neat.

flat, phillips and allen heads.

deep standard and metric sockets, precision screw drivers.

my little handy dandy bearing puller.

6 inch calipers. i use this alot!!!!!!

specialty shimano and penn spool wrenches.

a working inventory of all the penn ht-100 drag washers made. i order all my penn stuff from pennparts.com. i'm their biggest non-business account!

bearings from bocabearings.com. they like me alot as well.

boxes of screws. mostly stuff that i've accumulated over the years.

this little dremmel comes in handy! seems that i'm always grinding away at something.

more boxes of stuff.

i'd have carpal tunnel syndrome without this little baby! it's a little electric screwdriver from milwaulke. they're about $100, i have two, finally busted one and i need to replace it.

now for the grease gun. this is another little item that i could not do with out. here's the grease.

here's the gun. home depot has these. note the position of the nozzle.

home depot has these as well. it's a blowgun kit.

take the inflator needle and cut off the tip with the cutting wheel of the dremmel, the screw it into the adaptor.

screw in the adaptor, load up a grease cartridge and you're all set. this is another "must have" item.

and lastly, my favorite. 7-8 years ago i found this wrench in a tackle shop for $20. i put it next to a standard penn wrench so you could see the difference. i bought two, lost one, and just had a machine shop buddy make a bunch more.

i also have a small compressor, a bench grinder, a drill press and a half gallon ultrasonic cleaner loaded with green soap. the only thing i still need is a small bench lathe. i want to start cutting sleeves to blueprint lever drag reels. yes, it's taken over my garage....

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:40 pm
songslinger

Fantastic. More insight provided here than I've seen elsewhere. Thanks.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:19 pm
baymaster

I don't think you have enough equipment
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:02 pm
mel

Those bikes along with that red wagon will make a great pier cart!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:15 am
tinle

im looking at your pictures alan, and im like daaang this guy is so organized, then i see the garage and i'm like he's just like me! most of my tackle and my tackle boxes are all organized, but the garage is almost identical to yours. rods left around randomly, beer cases (except my beer cases would probably be coors light or blue moon), and reels still in their boxes. not saying you're messy or anything, just saying i can definately identify with an artisan like you.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 am
mel

An amazing amount of patience and dedication. I have the dedication part down, but not the patience. I tried to set up a spot in my extra room for stuff like that but it only gets cluttered up. Your post gives me more inspiration to get off my behind and take care of biz. I have some reels I need to work on too. Great post Alan!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:52 am
ogreen

All I can say is wow! I also think that without the honest picture of the garage I would have been put-off. But with that picture I am encouraged that I can do it! Thanks for your patient and honest posts!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:06 am

my fishing room looks more like your garage. awesome post, alan! hope to make your seminar this week!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:17 am
pinfish

good information. thanks.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:46 am
leony

Amazing! He is the man!!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:25 am
stripesidechaser

Two things Alan:

1) I'm thrilled you threw in that last picture... it made me feel a little better about my workbench (garage is organized, but workbench is always a mess!)

2) With all the maintenance you do, do you ever have a reel fail while you're fishing?

As always, you don't post often, but your posts ALWAYS add value to this site. Thanks a lot!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:41 pm
jtstryper

Wow, that is a big arsenal! you can go to war with those things.!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 pm
pier roller

you hooked,,,,,,,
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 pm
bassmanben

alan, as always, you are the man. LOL at the garage though - after your meticulous planning and organization for your reel repair arsenal, looks like your family has taken over the carport =)
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:08 pm
kelpangler

I realize this is a 2-year-old thread, but thanks for dredging it up (no sarcasm!) I'm thoroughly impressed with the pics.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: