pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Mediterannean Fish Soup - old and new [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 pm
frozendog

Now that winter is here, it's soup time. Here is a reprint of a recipe from the old Board and then some updates.

First of all, I have made this 5 times and it was a little bit different each time. That's because I used what I had in the refrig - veggies and fish, the cupboard - spices, and the in freezer - shrimp.
I started off with 1/2 a chopped onion, some garlic (to taste), and 1/2 of an anise, sauteed in olive oil until softened.
Stock: I took the easy way and used canned chicken stock. Added 2 1/2 cans to the onion mixture. How much you use, depends on how much you want to make. I added: oregano, cajun seasoning, lemon peel, Chef Paul's Poultry Magic, a little chicken boullion to fortify the stock.
Finally a little orange ginger sauce. Brought the stock up to simmer then added a 1/2 cubed potato, sliced red bell pepper, cubed zuccini, 2 shitaki mushrooms and a cubed tomato. I let this simmer 15 min until the potato was done.
Fish: I used cabezon and rockfish, cut into bite sized chunks and also peeled a few shrimp. Added to the broth and let simmer about 10 minutes and it was done. The fish is naturally tender so it cooks quick.
Once again, no set recipe, just use what you have. Next time I'm fishing and see some mussels, I'll grab them to add to the pot. The last time I made it, we had some leftover cheese ravioli and I throw some of those in too. Notice, no salt and pepper. Add it at the table to taste.
We served it with some stuffed mushrooms and some grilled fr. bread.
This is something you can make up the day before you go fishing so you will have an easy dinner when you get home.

Now for some updates and some pictures to make it easier to prepare. Part of cooking is to come up with changes to make the old dish a little different.

I start with small junks of shrimp and small chunks of cabezon or rockfish. I've also made it with MF eel. All are good, but this is my favorite way to use cabezon. Season liberally with your favorite seasonings and a little olive oil. Set aside. If you are going to use frozen ravioli, start cooking this now. Use just enough of the canned chicken broth to cover. If you are using leftover ravioli, just add it later.
I always make a large portion of this soup and give some to my elderly neighbors. They can't eat tomatoes or potatoes, so I have dropped them from my ingredients.

These are some of the spices I use on the fish. The rest will go into the stock.

Use your favorite veggies, or whatever you have on hand. I used these but since have changed from fresh mushrooms to dried shitakis. Saute the veggies in a little olive oil, starting with onions. After sweating the vegs (not soft or mushy), pour in your broth.

I use chicken and vegetable canned broth. Would be better with homemade, but works fine with canned.

Now you have veggies cooked and simmering in stock. Add some fresh spinach, if you like it. Then add your cooked ravioli or tortillini. Simmer, simmer, simmer. Then raise the heat just a little and add your fish and shrimp. Cook for two minutes. Cover and turn the heat off. Let sit 12-15 minutes covered and fish will be cooked nicely.

I've experimented with different spices. I tried a little curry, but ended putting in too much and only I would eat the soup. Just get in there and let your creativity come out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm
Fish4Steve

That looks terrific.

~Confucius (Jk, just me)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm
lucy

That looks and sounds utterly delicious!!!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:07 pm
gordo grande

hhmmmmm...I have to try this one.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:40 pm
iamfisherman

Man FD you always make my mouth water. I are an awesome cook. Need to try this along with your chowder now. Need to go catch some rockfish.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: