pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Shovelnose cooking question [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:04 pm
fishmandude

How do you cook a shovelnose guitarfish ?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:19 pm
spline9

From what I hear, cook like you would a scallop. Some people soak in milk for a bit, it's supposed to tone down the fishyness some.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:28 am
illcatchanything2

Again, just like the thornback (see my response to your previous post) The big sifference here is that Shovelnose is really good IMHO, and since they get much larger than thornbacks, its worth the effort as you get a lot more meat. I have also grilled Shovelnose tail, it was good that way as well.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:09 am
Ken Jones

From Pier Fishing In California, 2nd ed.

Snookie's Shovelnose Cocktail

Snookie is my reporter for the Balboa Pier and has fished that pier twice a week for about fifty years. Since shovelnose sharks (guitarfish) are one her regular victims, she has learned to prepare them in several ways. Herewith is a recipe that is both tasty and fairly unique at least when considering the way it is prepared. I took it (with her permission) from the Pier Fishing in California web site).
"Shovelnose guitarfish are best fixed as a shovelnose cocktail. Take the tail of the shovelnose and boil or simmer it until done. The skin will peel off easily, and the cartilage will come away from the meat easily too. Cool the meat. Make a cocktail sauce such as the kind you would use for crab or shrimp Louie. Chip some celery into the mix. Add the amount of the tail meat that will mix well. Chill and eat. It is a rich Louie but very tasty. The cocktail sauce that I make is Heinz cocktail sauce plus a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and Horseradish (about a heaping teaspoon)."
Good luck and good eating, Snookie."

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: