pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Curado D review [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:30 am
pinfish

I know I'm late to the party but thanks to the release of the new Curado E, I was able to find a Curado D on sale at Sweeny's in Napa. I got the 200 HDSV. I find it useful to use a low profile reel with high speed gears for working topwater; plus I fight the fish with the rod and drag; and take up slack and keep tight lines with the reel so high speed is the way to go for me.

Its a nicely made reel with a simple and effective centrifugal braking. It is not unlike my Quantum Cabo baitcaster. For both you have to open up the side plate to adjust the braking although the Shimano is easier. Both are kinda heavy and bulbous although the Curado's spool is lighter and a larger arbor style (unless you get the 300D). Both have heavy metal frames. Strong and smooth drags. The Curado has shielded bearings so in time I'll have an opinion about that -- will it take dirt and corrosion longer? And both can throw 1oz+ lures. But unlike the Cabo, the Curado can throw lighter just as well. The Cabo is for slightly heavier gear and conditions. Enough about the Cabo...

I tested Curado with the wind to my back and casting into the wind. I casted all sorts of lures from big Yozuri hydro pencils to 1/2oz hairraisers, ratLtraps, and xraps - in the wind. It did well. Casting requires patience compared to a magged reel because you have to focus on the basics. Lobs and casting with natural momentum is the key. Forcing it requires a thumbjob. The Curado seems to feel smooth in both casting and reeling.

Now its just time to catch some fish, but I think you all know a bunch of people who have caught fish with these reels. Buh bye!
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:46 am
alantani

i found that some of the curados have aluminum main gears. one had a chipped tooth and had to be replaced. do you recall if your main gear was gold colored or dull silver? alan

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:29 pm
pinfish

main gear is the where the drag discs are? if so i think its gold/brass colored
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: