Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Crab Snare How To: [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 pm
FishermanDan

Home Made "Pacifica Pier Style" Crab Snares

1)Materials:
-you will need x amount of: welded hardware cloth, I like 1"x1/2". Ring terminals, an old tire, small single jack chain, weed trimmer line(.065), and 1/16" alluminum ferrules/crimps(I made crimps out of 1/4" alluminum tubing). You can get all this stuff at Homedepot and Osh.

2)Tools:
-you will need small needle nose pliers, larger pliers, a crimper, wire cutters, and a tube cutter.

3)Instructions:
-creat a cut-out with the harware cloth. Here is pattern I chose(standard medium sized snare)...

-Fold the the cut-out into a box shape and use the pliers to tie the loose ends together...

-next cut out a door, and attatch it to the snare...

-Add a piece of chain link and attach it using a piece of the tire...

-cut the trimmer line into 15" sections and attach them to the snare with the ferrules/crimps. Then creat a loop by crimping on the ring terminal. You can legally fish with a snare that has 6 loops or less in CA(b/c some store.internet baught models have 7 loops)..

4)Final Product:
-Just add bait, weight, and go catch some crab!(sell the extra to your friends and get your money back Wink)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:49 pm
FishermanDan

BTW, I still have extra snares available for sale. Since these "pacifica pier style" snares can be hard to come by and expensive, PM me if you would like some. $5 each, or 5 for $20.

Also have a hand full of "Bullet" style snares($5 each). Slender design for optimum casting. One of the preffered styles for snare regulars.

And I have a couple "larger" size snares, great for adding heavy weights and a larger amount of bait. $7 each.

Please send a PM if interested in buying them. Otherwise, if you have any questions, comments, or better yet your own snare ideas/designs, post them up!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 pm
surfsamurai

Like I said, DSCS 5000 (Dan's Stealth Crab Snare) is an officially approved product by PDSBA (Pacific Dungies Snare Biting Association).

I also heard that Snare Biting is an Olympic sport for Dungies. It's really hard to eat thoes squids, fish heads/guts and chickens from inside of the cage without getting caught by stealth wires. It does take some Olympian's world class Hand-Eye coordination to participate in this dangerous sport.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:05 pm
man overboard

Wow, this looks familiar...

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1244527737.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm
SurfFisher08

Dan, you owe me four for that lip gripper.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:31 pm
ryang

Silly question, but why do you make the box with wedge ends? Wouldn't it be easier to fab with straight walls?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:37 pm
iamfisherman

ryang wrote:
Silly question, but why do you make the box with wedge ends? Wouldn't it be easier to fab with straight walls?

It looks deceiving but it helps with the cast. straight edges(box shape) will be a little less aerodynamic. i know its a cage and meshed but try casting the store bought black box snares and then casting one of Dan's snares. its night and day. smaller is also better because you can cram bait tightly inside the cage and the snares are closer to each other so you have greater success.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:49 pm
Mahigeer

Great post thanks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:25 pm
Sin_Coast

And crabs are good, right? I want to catch crabs.....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:28 pm
iamfisherman

Sin_Coast wrote:
And crabs are good, right? I want to catch crabs.....

Sin, not that kind of crabs...you should try avoiding those...but don't worry I believe they make a cream to take care of that...J/K...

but dungies on the other hand are freakn delicious...
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm
CRASS

if you want those crabs, just keep going south from the pier and hit up Cheers, the bar in linda mar. LOL!!! you get limits in minutes!! Very Happy

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 pm
fatcartmon

I believe there's no limits to those crabs. You can catch as much as you can handle. For bait, just use scotch or cheap whiskey. Soak your bait on the bar for about 15-20 minutes. If you don't get results move on to the next stool, then so on and so on. If there are Pregnant females, toss them back immediately! And don't keep the small or under develop ones for the Police will arrest for those.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 am
illcatchanything2

Ok guys, this is getting a little off color. Lets stick to the fish shall we......
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: