pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> cevichie [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 pm
muttfishr

My mexican brother in law showed me this recipe. It takes awhile to prepare, but its worth it. Make sure to use only ocean caught fish, the parasites in fresh water fish are compatable with humans,while the parasites in salt water fish are not, so Im told. I prefer to freeze the fish for a couple of days anyway, just to be sure. You'll need a couple of pounds of rockfish, stripedbass, halibut, really any white fleshed fish. The juice from about 8 lemons. Chop the fish into small, small pieces and add the lemon juice, stir well and put in the fridge, stirring occasionally, for about 4 hrs. "you can tell when its done ""cooking"" ". While all thats going on, prepare a fresh green chili salsa. When the fish is done add it, juice and all, to the salsa, you can put a can of those tiny cocktail shrimp in also or maybe some avocado, thats really good too. Now all you need are those tostada shells, use a fork or slotted spoon, and serve'em up!!!!!!!! tight lines to all... mutt.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:50 pm
rockcrab62

Sounds great! Thanks for the recipe.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 pm
JellyFish

sounds good. i know lime or lemon cooks the fish but is it safe to eat?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:06 pm
kkm557

The recipe I know of consists of lemon juice, lime juice, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, worcestershire, ketchup, and a hot sauce.

To answer the question of killing the parasites: if you are concerned about getting ill, make sure you seafood is fresh. On top of that, look up the freeze times required for sashimi since it is based on the temperature you are freezing it will determine the time. I will usually leave it overnight in lime/lemon juice. It will turn from a clear/translucent color to a pale/opaque color when "cooked". Just be sure to make sure all your seafood is covered in the juice (hence the reason you need to stir it, if not the uncovered part will not cook. Remember that it isn't like cooking with heat, if the lemon/lime juice doesn't touch it, it won't get cooked.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 pm
kkm557

I follow something along these lines:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Avocado-Shrimp-Ceviche-Estillo-Sarita/Detail.aspx

As for a few extra tips. Make sure you place the lemon/lime + seafood mixture into a non-reactive bowl (to the acid in the juice). I usually use a pyrex or ceramic container. Also, you can make your own tostadas/chips at home as well. Just heat up some oil (plain old canola will do) and deep fry some corn tortillas either cut up to chip size or whole. Just don't let them burn.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:27 am
illcatchanything2

Thanks for sharing. Sounds great.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:43 am
JellyFish

sweet. i thought it was just fish but after looking at the photos i remembered i had one made with shrimp. it was very good.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:46 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

Yeah, the hombres at work bring it in sometimes and theirs is made with shrimp. It was hard at first to understand what they were saying the name of it was so so I just called it "da Vinci". I ask them when they are going to bring more da Vinci in!

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:41 am
muttfishr

HA,HA,HA, I know about those lil,mexican dudes too, when I pull up to a certain dairy to pick up the milk, the crew has to shut down so I can empty the farm tank. While the milk's pumping on my truck I've got about 20min and the crew breaks for lunch, they seem to take great pleasure in feeding me and act offended if I beg off, so ofcourse " not wanting to offend anyone, hehehe" I dig in with the rest of them. Thanks to all of you for your posts and for mentioning the things I forgot to say, like glass bowls ect...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:28 pm
fshndiva

Ceviche is delicious. It is also good when you mix up the peppers to make it a bit spicer. I will have to try the recipe with ketchup, havent done that one before. I have always used limes/lemons (just make sure they are ripe so you get more juice), salt, jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, cilantro, tomatoes, diced red onion and sometimes cucumbers.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 pm
slo roller

If you can't find fresh lemons / lime, the bottled stuff works well for me. I'll leave my rockfish in a pyrex bowl overnight. I will drain most of the lemon juice off as it gets too watery for me. I'll dice up and add red onion, tomato, cilantro jalapeno and avocado. Add some salt. I'll also add a can of V8 juice to replace some liquid.

I've tried using MFE and perch too, but they were always mushy.

Good eating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm
la mosca

I really, really like to make CEVICHE with my fresh caught Rockies. I even made a Kelp/Rock Greenling ceviche, it worked well, as the color deteriorated you could tell it was being cooked (No one got sick, so take it from me it was safe). Left it in a glass bowl over night.
However, I always use KEY/Mexican LIMES (the small limes that look about a Quarter's Coin size) to make ceviche, they have a distinct flavor that makes the ceviche taste better than the bigger green limes or yellow lemons. I always have enough "lime juice" to cover all the fish, at least by an eighth of an inch.
Cut the fish into very small cubes or finely chopped as much as possible. When the fish is white, or as close as "chicken done-ness" your ceviche is cooked. You should also eat up a spoonful, with the fish being firm = good.
Salsa for ceviche: Cilantro, Tomato (seeded and w/no juice), Cucumber (optional - this will add a crunch), Jalapeņos, Avocado, purple onion, salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Chop the cilantro really fine, as fine as you can take it, meaning, if you don't mind those little green pieces in between your teeth. Tomato should be cubed as small as possible. Cucumber should be the same size as tomato. Jalapeņos should be chopped fine as well. Purple onion finely chopped. Combine, by spooning Ceviche into Salsa - in this manner, you can control how much juice to keep or strain some juice out and spoon in salsa, whichever you prefer.

Top all Tostadas with slices of Avocado, and Extra Tapatio/Cholula/Tamazula hot sauce. And then Open up a Modelo topped with a shrimp.

~d.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm
rockcrab62

I tried ceviche with monkeyface eel one time.It was pretty good, but I just couldn't shake the thought of the thing that was slithering in a hole eating algae the day before. I like lots of tomato and pepper in mine, with less onion.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:48 am
illcatchanything2

la mosca wrote:
I really, really like to make CEVICHE with my fresh caught Rockies. I even made a Kelp/Rock Greenling ceviche, it worked well, as the color deteriorated you could tell it was being cooked (No one got sick, so take it from me it was safe). Left it in a glass bowl over night.
However, I always use KEY/Mexican LIMES (the small limes that look about a Quarter's Coin size) to make ceviche, they have a distinct flavor that makes the ceviche taste better than the bigger green limes or yellow lemons. I always have enough "lime juice" to cover all the fish, at least by an eighth of an inch.
Cut the fish into very small cubes or finely chopped as much as possible. When the fish is white, or as close as "chicken done-ness" your ceviche is cooked. You should also eat up a spoonful, with the fish being firm = good.
Salsa for ceviche: Cilantro, Tomato (seeded and w/no juice), Cucumber (optional - this will add a crunch), Jalapeņos, Avocado, purple onion, salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Chop the cilantro really fine, as fine as you can take it, meaning, if you don't mind those little green pieces in between your teeth. Tomato should be cubed as small as possible. Cucumber should be the same size as tomato. Jalapeņos should be chopped fine as well. Purple onion finely chopped. Combine, by spooning Ceviche into Salsa - in this manner, you can control how much juice to keep or strain some juice out and spoon in salsa, whichever you prefer.

Top all Tostadas with slices of Avocado, and Extra Tapatio/Cholula/Tamazula hot sauce. And then Open up a Modelo topped with a shrimp.

~d.

OMG that sounds good.... Just throw it on a warm tortilla, open a bag of chips and your ready to go Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:33 am
muttfishr

Dang, that kicks mine off the page, tell ya what, next time I'll bring the fish and you can hook it up, or maybe I'll come out and we'll go fishin togeather, hooken em n cooken em...
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: