pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Largemouths in the Port o Sac [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:39 am
baitchucker

Back from SoCal on Monday. Wanted to fish WSB but my first day (Monday, 3/20) in OC, mom got into a car accident after suffering a minor stroke. She lost fine motor skills in her left arm. Looking for a full recovery. As far as the accident... Go figure, it wasn't her fault. She was able to pull off the side of the 405 (northbound) near LAX when a SUV side swiped her. Hit and run. Someone talking on a cell phone is all she saw. At 8:00am, I would had expected for someone to witness the accident and see if she was okay. Nope! thank god we got her a cell phone after dad died. At any rate, mom and the car are okay now.

Anyway, I digress. At the port yesterday, the water is quite clear (3-4ft) considering the delta and the amount rainfall. At high tide, I could see smaller males wandering close to the tules. I guess the female are on bed right now. Hopefully, with some wind and rain break, I might be able to see them. I doubt that will happen anytime soon though.

Four male caught yesterday all on swimming white gitzits. Nothing over a pound. All strikes were seen and were very aggressive. Those little boogers have major attitudes.

Peace.

Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:04 am
fakefisherman

Wow, hope your mom recovers fully and it's a good thing it wasn't more serious of an accident. Gotta love LA drivers. :\

You probably didn't miss much, fishing-wise. Mostly rockfish, sculpin and perch right now.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 am
baitfish

Glad to hear your mom is OK, LA drivers are the worst, I actually became a better driver when I moved from LA after 28 years down to San Diego. As I drive into LA county, my left hand subconciously drops from 10:00 to the horn so I can be ready at any moment.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:35 pm
aquahmonk

I was there at the Port o Sac last Saturday. Way too windy. Used sardines. Buddy caught 2 foot long stripers. Someone down the shore caught this 3ft+, about 20 pound striper.

PortOSac.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.23 KB
 Viewed:  3011 Time(s)

PortOSac.JPG

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:23 pm
tinle

Glad your mom is alright. A few months ago, my girlfriend was a victim of a hit and run, so I know how pissed you musta been. Hope you catch some monsters soon so I can come join ya! Take care Pat!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:59 am
rock hopper

BC - Glad your mom is alright.

That cat with the striper looks like Raekwon from the Wu.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:02 am
stripesidechaser

I'd sure liked to have been there when he cut open that fish... that belly was full of something! Could be crawfish? Maybe!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:53 am
baitchucker

stripesidechaser wrote:
I'd sure liked to have been there when he cut open that fish... that belly was full of something! Could be crawfish? Maybe!

Nope! She's full of eggs! One of those stripers that I caught earlier in the month was full of eggs. The other was sporting HUGE melt sacs!

Today, I get my personalized floating pier back from Klammath Industries. 25 rivets shook loose. All these problems started after towing it to Sac. HWY 80 has eaten another boat. I wonder what its doing to my cars?

Anyway, I fished yesterday for the largemouths in one of the coves of the Port. Nailed three big mouths. One, went about 2.5 lbs. The others... small dinky males.

Here's a camera phone shot.

picture_39_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.04 KB
 Viewed:  2948 Time(s)

picture_39_.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:34 pm
tinle

Is that pic from on the dock? are they showing up around the docks again?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:09 pm
geese

baitchucker wrote:
stripesidechaser wrote:

Nope! She's full of eggs! One of those stripers that I caught earlier in the month was full of eggs. The other was sporting HUGE melt sacs!

Today, I get my personalized floating pier back from Klammath Industries. 25 rivets shook loose. All these problems started after towing it to Sac. HWY 80 has eaten another boat. I wonder what its doing to my cars?

Anyway, I fished yesterday for the largemouths in one of the coves of the Port. Nailed three big mouths. One, went about 2.5 lbs. The others... small dinky males.

Here's a camera phone shot.

Baitchucker,
I was at the port of sac this past sat the only
day when the rain let up. I used some roboworms
and plastic minnows as well as sardine chunks to no avail. Was trying to for some Stripers and largemouth. I noticed you always seem to do well around that area. Any tips for guys like me? lol
Thanks
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:47 pm
baitchucker

Yes, I work the docks 90% of the time when I'm not in the boat. I do my best on the dredger and the rowers dock. The Outboard Club's dock and the Sailing Dock have their moments... I never pass them up if I'm off the bite at the other locations.

Stealth for the largemouth. Splashless and quiet. Caught 3 bucketmouths today on Senkos. All fish came within 15ft of the shoreline. If you are fishing on the channel side. I saw some males schooling up and cruising the rockline the other weekend. The females should be in there by now. Throw gitzits and let them glide. Spinnerbaits work as well, but you gotta go splashless.

Stripers.... from the channel side, I've got no clue. I usually fish off the boat or off the docks. Usually, I'm using white gitzits.

I'm at the port M-F between 4:30 - 6:30. If you want to learn some techniques for this area, PM me and let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:48 am
geese

Thanks baitchucker.

ill try it out and see if i can produce results u always get!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: