pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> 2006 Boat Salmon pre-season thread [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:04 am
climberb9

so mel's striper thread was a flop, but with salmon season coming up in about a month, who wants to talk salmon?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:27 pm
mel

I could go for that! Did good last year, only going out once because of the spotty bite but still managed a limit. Biggest was 25 pounder. My biggest salmon to date is a 36 pounder that I caught a couple of years ago and I didn't even win the pot that trip. Got aced out by 2 pounds. Salmon is my favorite eating fish!

Last edited by mel on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:23 am
eelmaster

Feds may drastically cut salmon season
Experts say low numbers of chinook in Klamath, Trinity rivers could even spur cancellation of commercial, sport fishing
By KATY HILLENMEYER
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Regulators may severely curtail commercial and sport salmon fishing off California this year, and could even cancel the season.

See story below

The number of mature chinook salmon leaving the ocean to spawn in the Klamath and Trinity rivers has fallen short of a goal of 35,000 two years running, biologists said.

And the forecast for wild salmon returning to the Klamath this year is lower than it's been since 1992, which industry experts say could trigger a shortened fishing season from northern Oregon to Monterey.

"The way that the stars are aligned, it would be the most restrictive year since 1992," said Rod McInnis, southwest regional administrator for the National Marine Fisheries Service.

Even with commercial and recreational fishing prohibited through August between Oregon's Cape Falcon and California's Point Sur - and with tribal and sport fishing banned on the Klamath - the wild salmon would barely top 29,000, biologists predict.

Bodega Bay's salmon fishing season typically ends Sept. 30.

After 1992's dismal spawning forecast, "it's the second lowest .. . on record," said Chuck Tracy of the Pacific Fishery Management Council, which advises U.S. regulators about offshore fishing limits in California, Oregon and Washington.

The March 15 opening of salmon fishing off Fort Bragg is likely to be postponed, he said, and Bodega Bay fishermen may again see their traditional May1 opening pushed into mid-summer.

"The whole fishery could be delayed or not happen," Tracy said Thursday. "I doubt there will be anything like last year's seasons. I think that would be pretty optimistic."

Tens of thousands of salmon died in 2002 when water diversions for agriculture in Oregon left the Klamath River too low and too warm, an episode that has had lasting effects on ocean fishermen's freedom to harvest fall chinook.

Conservation-driven limits delayed the commercial season off Bodega Bay last summer until July 4, cutting nine weeks out of a five-month season. Thanks to higher prices, California's salmon fishermen still grossed $12.8 million in 2004, industry records indicate, a year after reaping $18.4 million.

The Portland, Ore.-based fishery management council will not finalize the last of its 2006 chinook recommendations to federal regulators until April. But fishermen, including many coming off a delayed crab season, are prepared for another short summer.

"The worst scenario is there would be no fishing whatsoever for salmon; the best would be typical of last year's season," said Chuck Wise, a Bodega Bay fisherman who earns half of his income off salmon. "There will be full fishing below Point Sur, but there are not many salmon close to the coast of Mexico."

Wise, who presides over the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations, said it wouldn't be worth the cost of fuel to fish south of Monterey.

Fishermen will lobby for an emergency exception to allow fishing in spite of conservation shortfalls, he said.

Under a federal law to sustain fisheries, if salmon spawning targets are missed three years in a row, "that triggers an overfishing review," said Allen Glover, a senior biologist in Santa Rosa with the state Department of Fish and Game.

So "without an emergency rule to go fishing, legally we can't go fishing under federal law," he said. "We're all waiting for the National Marine Fisheries Service to tell us whether we can go fishing."

Salmon from the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers are plentiful again this year.

"But it's the water situation on the Klamath that's created all this problem," Wise said. "As long as they keep pumping all the water out of the Klamath, this is never going to change."
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:47 am
climberb9

And it all falls back to the klamath salmon kill. Yippee!!! Now isn't that a topic where everyone agrees on </sarcasm>

Biggest salmon for me last year was only 17#'s, but thats still a fun fish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:11 pm
mel

Last November's fish.

Yes, I did wear my PFIC shirt on a party boat.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:04 pm
PLugLine

First pic was on tha NHF and the 2nd was on the New Seeker...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:52 am
grammar police

Here's my biggest two from last year.

Can't wait to do it again this year. Mmmm salmon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:47 am
unclesteve

that's some nice water in the background. oh the fish are cool too..! JK, Mel and GP ya'll need to explain the techinques....trolling ball, mooching,..?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:15 pm
fakefisherman

FATTIES! Don't make me show off my whopping 9 pounder!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:24 pm
mel

unclesteve wrote:
that's some nice water in the background. oh the fish are cool too..! JK, Mel and GP ya'll need to explain the techinques....trolling ball, mooching,..?

I like trolling more because you cover more ground and you can use Apex's, RSK's, flashers and stuff. You can be more creative. I don't mind mooching but it does get a little boring when the bite is off. Although I've caught more bigger fish consistently trolling, the 36 pound pig was caught while mooching. It was pretty cool. I was standing at the rail staring at my line and all of a sudden my line started taking off straight out from the boat. For a salmon, it took a lot of line. The skipper came out and saw me fighting the fish and told the deckhand to check my drag. The deckhand checked it and told him it was fine. The skipper ended up running for the wheelhouse to turn the boat for me. It's something that feels like it just happened yesterday. I'll never forget it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:47 pm
stripesidechaser

mel wrote:
unclesteve wrote:

I like trolling more because you cover more ground and you can use Apex's, RSK's, flashers and stuff. You can be more creative. I don't mind mooching but it does get a little boring when the bite is off. Although I've caught more bigger fish consistently trolling, the 36 pound pig was caught while mooching. It was pretty cool. I was standing at the rail staring at my line and all of a sudden my line started taking off straight out from the boat. For a salmon, it took a lot of line. The skipper came out and saw me fighting the fish and told the deckhand to check my drag. The deckhand checked it and told him it was fine. The skipper ended up running for the wheelhouse to turn the boat for me. It's something that feels like it just happened yesterday. I'll never forget it.

I prefer mooching (when the bite is on) because you can run lighter tackle! YeeHaww!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:27 pm
grammar police

unclesteve wrote:

Hand tied RSK in the Alan Tani variety (Glow in the dark or light green color, offset double snell using twice as many beads as the pre-tied) trolling "Green" herring tray bait vs. "blue".

The 2lb lead ball on a sinker release got hooked up 4:1 over the 15lbs downrigger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 pm
PLugLine

Check out this SLUG my buddy nailed off the NSQ a cuple years back 34# trolling the north side...Mooching is where its at tho...Gotta love the lighter gear and for the most part, shorter runs...

Shim and a SLUG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.1 KB
 Viewed:  5063 Time(s)

Shim and a SLUG.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:09 pm
climberb9

can some one explain to me the whole sinker release thing? I get how it works, but how accurate can you get the depth? How to you check your depth? math problem for the amount of swing your line has?

Thanksyall, and nice fish.

PS- I put in my vote for mooching, love light tackle
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:53 pm
mel

climberb9 wrote:
can some one explain to me the whole sinker release thing? I get how it works, but how accurate can you get the depth? How to you check your depth? math problem for the amount of swing your line has?

Thanksyall, and nice fish.

PS- I put in my vote for mooching, love light tackle

Put your reel in free spool, don't forget to use your thumb, and pull out your line and count off in one foot increments. You can put a mark on your rod for accuracy. Compensate for the line swing, meaning if there's a lot of swing, give it a few extra pulls. If I'm on the back of the boat, I get sloppy with the depth. If they say drop it 25 to 40 feet, sometimes I'll drop 35 and bring it up a few cranks. I just go with what my gut tells me. If your on the rail on the side of the boat, you have to drop it right or you'll tangle. Hate when that happens. Gosh, there's just so much to cover on this subject. It's more easily done when your doing it. Maybe when (and if) the season opens, we can get a charter going.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: