pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> penn captiva liverunner [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 am
lopan

I was looking into getting this reel for the baitrunner function. The only problem is the reviews at both basspro and cabelas. There are mixed reviews, some saying the reel is great, others say the baitrunner function breaks quickly and the drag is poor.

I usually dont trust reviews on basspro because I expect most yahoos on basspro just dont know how to use the hardware.

Have any of you guys used this reel? If so, how does it hold up?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:57 pm
gordo grande

Shimano and Okuma both sell proven bait-runners. I have one of each. The Shimano is generally regarded as the better reel, but they're both good.

Do a search on the old board, and you'll find plenty of info on both of these reels.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:53 pm
FishermanDan

I have a penn captiva, without the baitrunner feature. Although it is missing the BR, everything else is basically the same. The reel is smooth, but thats it. Overall my opinion is junk, and I regret buying it. The paint began to flake and chip off after two trips!

I have also been interested in a bait feeder reel, particularly a larger reel. The options available aren't the best. The old shimanos are the most durable, but pricy, and heavy, and old fashioned. Okuma in general is cheap-o, but the ABF(avenger bait feeder) series are proven, and the large reels can handle as big a fish as you can hook. You can't beat the price, and they will last if properly used. CayucosJack used the ABF for years landing PLENTY of large shark and rays. I can't seem to find the perfect BR, but that would be my first choice. OR you can stick with conventional reels, with freespool and clicker.

There is also another BF that has gotten good reviews, and is priced in between the shimano and okuma. I think its from cabelas. Not sure if its a salt striker, or another model. Sin Coast has one I believe, maybe he can chip in.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:28 pm
lopan

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to wait it out and save some more and just buy the shimano. There is only 30 dollars difference between the shimano and the the penn, so Ill just wait another month.

Thanks again.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 pm
gordo grande

I have an Okuma Epixor, and it's a pretty good reel. In fact, I was using it for bonito at the last Catalina GT. It has a few more bearings than the avenger. I think the Cabelas reel is actually an Okuma with their name put on it. Ditto for the Californians that Turners sells here in L.A.

I did have one small problem with my epixor when the rear drag froze after a good dunking and being dropped in the sand while surf fishing. Alan Tani replaced it for me, and it runs very smoothly now.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:31 am
s_l

I own 2 EBs(65 and smaller 30) and older 4500(no "B") - all work fine.
Tried Captiva once: will not recommend it to anyone.... looks like a junk to me (((

My son is using rather un usual reel: (German) Balzer Magna 400 : http://www.psfishing.com/magna-mx-black-400-feeder-runner-reel.html, and he is happy because the reel is very light yet strong
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm
snotrocket

you should look at the penn 560L or 460L ....
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:35 am
illcatchanything2

Both my sons have the Okuma Epixor's on thier reels. Never had any problems with them. They have caught everything from Halibut to Bat tays on them
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: