pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Calcutta 400s or Avet SX or daiwa luna [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:57 pm
snotrocket

I am going to buy a new reel that I dont really need.
I will use it from shore and pier's most of the time can I have some feed back on these reels......
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:11 pm
fakefisherman

I own a Luna 300 and I love it. Highly recommended. If you want to fish 20lb. test, get the Avet, but make sure you like the lever drag. I think one of my next purchases is going to be the SX.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:20 pm
jkim

TD Luna. But make sure you swap the drags out with HT100's or Smoothy Carbontex.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:43 pm
ogreen

For casting and pure smooooth get the Luna. I find myself always fishing my millionaires and luna while my Cacutta TE's gather dust. I did the carbontex drags and am very satisfied. I'm still conflicted about my Avet (not to mention I have to put it back together), but it is most definitely (for me) the last in line.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 am
eelmaster

Calcutta fan here. I have a 400 and a 150. Very durable, cast pretty well, and are actually dificult to back lash.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:57 am
red fish

Try to crank the handle on all of them before you make a purchase. One of them should call out to you and your style of fishing. I have a 400 CT Calcutta because I found a good deal at Sportmart of 30% off and another 30% off which made the reel 152.00 out the door including tax. The drag is smooth, but it isn't the best lure casting reel. The thumb-bar gets stuck if you mash down on it too hard (as does the discontinued Catalas). The TE's are a whole different beast, and must be for a list price of $100 over the CT's retail price. I can cast a lot farther on an ABU (add Carbontex drags to this thing too).

I don't have any experience with the Luna 300, but I have tried UncleSteve's Millionaire 300 (Japan Model) and was very pleased with it (enough where I would consider buying it). Daiwa is holding their share of the market I feel with reels that operate smoothly. Bob, has a GrandWave Daiwa that he got on sale and says he doesn't really like it, although he seems to use it quite a bit. I think it is an excellent reel, and smooth. Some have reservations about the plastic drag knobs that are used by Daiwa.

You might also want to look at the Quantum Pt-Cabo 30. Bob, just got one and Dustin has something similar. Some of the old Quantum Irons built quite a reputation, especially with the blackbass fishermen. What's good about the Cabo is that it is teardrop style and usually they are the best for casting lures a great distance. Also, it is made for salt-water and has a clicker. About $160.00.

The Luna 300 is about $240.00. I would look for a sale. All of these are like 12#, or 15# test reels really for generally: halibut, striper, salmon mooching or similar fishes. The Avet is a heavier bait-dunking, bar-jigging, iron-casting, tuna-tangoing, sturgeon-catching, trolling reel.

Last edited by red fish on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:10 am; edited 5 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:03 am
stripesidechaser

red fish wrote:
Bob, has a GrandWave Daiwa that he got on sale and says he doesn't really like it, although he seems to use it quite a bit. I think it is an excellent reel, and smooth. Some have reservations about the plastic drag knobs that are used by Daiwa.

What I don't like about it is just the feel... I guess once you handle a really nice Penn reel, you set a new standard for comparison.
Most people like the Calcutta, but after fishing my Penn 975 CS, I would NEVER trade it for a Calcutta. The ONLY reel I've ever felt that feels as good as that Penn (and not all Penn models feel like that), is my Avet... period.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:31 am
red fish

stripesidechaser wrote:
red fish wrote:
Bob, has a GrandWave Daiwa that he got on sale and says he doesn't really like it, although he seems to use it quite a bit. I think it is an excellent reel, and smooth. Some have reservations about the plastic drag knobs that are used by Daiwa.

What I don't like about it is just the feel... I guess once you handle a really nice Penn reel, you set a new standard for comparison.
Most people like the Calcutta, but after fishing my Penn 975 CS, I would NEVER trade it for a Calcutta. The ONLY reel I've ever felt that feels as good as that Penn (and not all Penn models feel like that), is my Avet... period.
Those reels are more solidly made, will undoubtedly last longer, and take more abuse. Certain TE's and the 975 leverdrag/levelwind, Alantani did not care for (as they needed some structural rebuilding). But, I imagine things are somewhat different from an engineering standpoint than from and end-user's view. For casting lures in the Delta for blackbass and stripers I would use something like your Cabo or one of those Daiwas with the jigging do-hickey handle over the top of it, or a Shimano Chronarch. This is of course if I have enough to afford all of those reels or, moreso, had enough fishing days available to use every one Smile And, if that was the case, I would probably be employed through tournament competitions, in which case, I would just use whatever reel my sponsors figured they wanted to push at the present time Smile If I just had the money to spend on one reel that I might want to do everything you can imagine in a 15# reel from halibut, to tuna, to rockfish, and sturgeon, and still expect it to still be working, and handed down to my grand-kids, I would get the small Penn International. Question though Bob, why don't you see people using those things with the level-wind? And, some people that had the old 965's and 975's levelwinds have removed them? People throwing lures like a levelwind most of the time.

Last edited by red fish on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:30 pm; edited 6 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 am
stripesidechaser

red fish wrote:
stripesidechaser wrote:
red fish wrote:

Those reels are more solidly made, will undoubtedly last longer, and take more abuse. Certain TE's and the 975 leverdrag/levelwind, Alantani did not care for (as they needed some structural rebuilding). But, I imagine things are somewhat different from an enginerring standpoint than from and end-user's view. For casting lures in the Delta for bass and stripers I would use something like you Cabo or one of those Daiwa's with the jigging do-hickey handle over the top of it, or a Shimano Choronarch. This is of course if I have enough to afford all of thosed reels Smile If I money to spend on one reel that I might want to do everything you can imagine in a 15# reel from halibut, to tuna, to rockfish, and sturgeon, and still expect it to still be working, and handed down to my grand-kids, I would get the small Penn International. Question though Bob, why don't you see people using those things with the level-wind? And, some people that had the old 965's and 975's levelwinds have removed them? People throwing lures like a levelwind most of the time.

I don't know Red... personally, I don't like a levelwind for most applications, but I also wouldn't use my 975 for tossing lightweight lures. Even my new Quantum might be a little large for light lures, but my little Shimano Calyx handles that job.
Man, one of these days, I'm going to have to do a garage sale to get rid of all the reels that I really don't use! (Probably will give the 5600 C4 to Brandon, as he really likes that one).
Also, I know most people like Abu's, and they do cast nice, but I don't like putting them back together after a cleaning (I can do 3 penns and shimanos in the time it takes me to do one Abu).
Are we hi-jacking this thread? Didn't mean to.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:50 pm
marv

I would also look graphite reels like the Penn 525 Mag and Daiwa Sealine-X reels. Fishing on shore or pier, your reel can get nicked easily. A nick on a nice anodized aluminum reel looks bad, and becomes vulnerable to corrosion. Just something to consider.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:09 am
kin

i think the luna is a great choice. the one thing that caught my eye was its mag control concept with the pressure plate at the side of the reel. plus...i'm pretty big on daiwa. however, for the price, i'd say go with the cabo pts30/31. can't beat the tear drop design with the capacity of a round baitcaster. 14/270 kinda speaks for itself hahah.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: