pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> 25lb bass caught in Carlsbad lake. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:58 am
ark

Moved to OT per Ken.

Yep, a tiny lake in Carlsbad produces some of the largest bass out there. An angler caught a 25lb fish and released it back into the lake.
The only gripe I have is that its evident that now the fish in the small lake will be wiped out by pros and novices alike.
Here's the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_bass_world-record_Weakley_25.1&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 am
Ken Jones

Thanks Ark!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:20 am
Ken Jones

Interesting to see if he would have kept it if it wasn't foul hooked. As they say--he's now the poster boy for catch and release. Quite a fish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 am
trident

There is a lot of controvery with this fish. No "official" weight and they released it. They have photos though. Also it was snagged vs properly hooked which "is the reason they released it"

Also rumors started flying around the 16th that a 25 lb bass was caught somewhere, no details were released. There was the press release on Monday saying they caught it Monday morning. My guess is that they foul hooked it a week ago and released it back on the bed. They probably tried to re-catch it again but failed. My guess once it left the bed and the rumors were flying they came out with the story. I also read it was a black jig, in the espn article it said white jig. I think we will slowly get bits and pieces of the truth in the next few weeks.

Funny thing to is in the article they talk about how they didnt want to handle the fish because of the weight. Well if you look at the pic, seems pretty hard on a fish. I know lipping a bass over 10 lbs can break its jaw.

Its still a hell of a bass.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:10 am
eelmaster

When spring lake, in santa rosa, produced that big ol' hog, the lake was packed for a couple weeks. It finally died down because folks were fishing in cold water and couldn't buy a bite.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 pm
jkim

Before people start booking their travel plans to find that tiny lake in Carlsbad, I should point out that the fish was caught in Poway not Carlsbad. Carlsbad is where the angler resides.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:55 pm
kin

that's a nice bass...i do not doubt it's size, however, many rumors have flown around about anglers releasing record breaking bass so i guess this won't be the first to be talked about so extensively. i find it sad how he was holding her up by her jaw...i hope she's in good condition so she can continue to spawn instead of starving to death with a broken jaw...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:04 pm
northern boy

Ugly! What happens to their belly when they get that big? Is there a McDonalds at the bottom of Dixon Lake?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:54 pm
ark

northern boy wrote:
Ugly! What happens to their belly when they get that big? Is there a McDonalds at the bottom of Dixon Lake?

Probably eats the other small bass for dinner.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:36 pm
kingfisher

Quote:

I have a feeling it eats what ever it wants for dinner. ducks, rats, trout.....etc.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 am
stripesidechaser

kingfisher wrote:
Quote:

I have a feeling it eats what ever it wants for dinner. ducks, rats, trout.....etc.

You are probably very correct. Two of the best bass lures for summertime around the grass beds are the mouse and the lizard... those fish will eat anything that moves.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:09 am
eelmaster

The bass on my grand parents lakes were known to eat ducklings on occasion.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: