pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Crab Cakes [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 pm
Sharkman20

I haven't seen any crab cake recipies on here so I figured I would post up mine. I can't take 100% of the credit, since this is based on a recipe I found online a long time ago, but I have changed it so many times that it really isn't even close anymore and the end product is a lot better in my opinion.

First, here is the list of what you will need.

3 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cayanne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 a cup mayonaise (more or less depending on how moist you like your cakes)

3/4 to 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp dillweed
1 and 1/2 tbsp dry parsley
4 cans of crab meat (I use the tunafish sized cans)
bowl with an amount of melted butter

I start by mixing the first 9 ingredients in a large plastic bowl, and mix the dill, parsley and breadcrumbs in a measuring cup, then strain the crabmeat and place in a third bowl.

Next I use a rubber spatula to mix the breacrumbs in with the other 9 ingredients.

After those are mixed well, I dump in the crab meat and mix that well for a few minutes to make sure there are no lumps of seasoning and whatnot.

After that, I line a small baking tray with foil and use a basting brush to spread melted butter on the bottom. Actually I use smart balance since it's more healthy but you can use whatever you prefer.

Form the cakes and lay on the sheet and use the basting brush to baste the crabcakes with melted butter, making sure to cover all dry spots.

Place in the oven on broil for about 10 minutes, then carefully flip the cakes over to brown the other side for a few minutes. I like to make a side of rice pilaf when I make crab cakes. I suppose you could fry them as well, but I've found that broiling keeps them intact much better and cooks them a lot more evenly.

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 am
frozendog

Comfort food at it's finest. Also, change one ingredient and you have Fish Cakes.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:37 pm
iamfisherman

i'm trying this tonight with the fresh crabs i caughts this weekend. looks so good.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: