pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Question for grease monkeys. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:57 am
mel

I have an 82 Toyota pick up which has been my fishing truck for years. Recently, I've been having front end problems, (there's a lot of play in the steering and when I go over a bump the whole truck shifts). I had it sitting in my car port for about 2 or 3 months and was starting it up every now and then so it wouldn't "freeze". About a month and a half ago my battery died and I just let it sit. I just replaced the battery and everything seems fine but I haven't road tested it yet. Is there anything else I should be concerned with? I am taking it to the shop this week or next week but I have to cross the bay to get there. I just don't want anything breaking down on me. That truck has been faithful to me and has been on many a fishing adventure and a lot of fish got free rides to my house in it too. My Honda Civic is satrting to smell like fish already and it's only a year old. I'm getting the truck tuned up and having the front end looked at but I'm worried about getting there first. Thanks in advance!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:20 am
kaleo

Mel, please consider having your truck towed to the mechanic. The engine is probably fine, but the steering problem you described is potentially very serious. Doing 55 in heavy traffic on the Bay Bridge is no place to have a tie-rod joint come apart. The extra $$$ for getting it towed is worth saving yourself a hospital stay or worse...

Good trucks, those old Toys --wasn't it still a solid front axle in '82? Worth keeping IMO.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:09 pm
mjonesjr

Not sure if you have power steering but I had somethng simular. It was the ball joints plus a power steering control module which would cause the truck to learch to the left like someone just pulled the wheel from you're hand while driving.

Mel maybe you need to get one of these?

Screaming Reels,
mjonesjr
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:28 pm
mel

mjonesjr wrote:
Not sure if you have power steering but I had somethng simular. It was the ball joints plus a power steering control module which would cause the truck to learch to the left like someone just pulled the wheel from you're hand while driving.

Mel maybe you need to get one of these?

Screaming Reels,
mjonesjr

No, no power steering. Parallel parking is a real drag sometimes. No I can't use one of those either. All of my tackle would get bounced out of there. I think I should be ok driving across the bridge. I'll test drive it and see what happens before I actually get on the bridge. This is not something that just happened but more like an ongoing problem but just getting worse. And also, thanks for everyone's concern and help via e-mail.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:51 am
stripesidechaser

sounds like ball joints. Also worn shocks (probably struts on that) will accentuate the problem. I have seen a few times that the worm gear in the steering was actually shot and that's a pain.
All these repairs are simple ones... they just take a little time and that's why shops charge out the wazzoo for them.
Michael, is that a fly hooptie? Wink
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:20 pm
mel

Finally got my truck to the shop today. Took a nice bumpy ride from Oakland across the Bay Bridge to San Bruno. Hope she'll be ok.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:04 pm
mel

Well, I finally got my truck back today. Turns out that the front end bushings were so worn out that they fell out! Got that fixed and also had a new windshield installed, (the old one was pitted), got the front brakes done and the guy even fixed my horn for me. It took him a while but the price was right. Truck runs like new. Now I'm ready to roll again! I also heard of a nice striper caught off the beach in the Pacifica area last Thursday. First of the season. Fish was caught on blood worms. Now I just have to find the time to fish!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:04 am
pinfish

damn those fish don't like solano county. already in the ocean!!!!
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:50 am
stripesidechaser

pinfish wrote:
damn those fish don't like solano county. already in the ocean!!!!

No joke... caught a nice one at Berkeley friday night, and haven't seen a decent keeper by my house (Antioch bridge pier), in a couple months!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: