pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Palos Verdes area... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:55 pm
salty nick

While visiting the wife's relatives down in the LA area, I was able to squeeze in a few hours of fishing this morning in the Palos Verdes area. Unfortunately, spent more time than I liked looking for a spot. Didn't know they had closed off parking access for the spot I usually fish when down here, also Abalone Pt. parking was fenced off. Finally found shoreline access at Malaga Cove - looked like a popular surfing area.

Started fishing at around 8am or so, using somewhat soft frozen anchovies. Got a bite right away, but after that no action. I started to doubt that I did get a bite after all - but then I remembered feeling head shakes... or did I imagine it? Finally, around 9:30am, got another bite and pulled in a 12 1/2" fat grass rockfish - kept him for the in-laws. Good, I wasn't imagining things. Got a smaller 11" model on the next cast, released. Then caught and released an 11" calico bass - glad to catch some local fare that I couldn't get back home.

Well, by now my anchovies were totally mush, so I quit around 10:30am. Weather was very comfortable, luckily the crazy wind from yesterday had died down. Will try to post pics when I get back.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

Did they have salted chovies where you bought yr bait?

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 pm
salty nick

I didn't want to spend time hunting for bait, so I lugged my own frozen 'chovies in a cooler. Unfortunately, not cool enough, so they were defrosting pretty quick. I was loosely rubber-banding them on the hook, but sometimes they were still flinging off the hook as I casted.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:10 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

Salted ones are like beef jerky and work just as well. That's all I buy now if I want to play around with the spinning rod to kill time.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 pm
Ken Jones

You don't see too many places selling salted anchovies up north. Did see some nice ones the other day at Wylies in Malibu.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:26 pm
surfcaster

Man, you can catch rockfish just about anywhere Salty! I wouldn't be surprised if you said you caught a lingcod in LA. You need to stop fishing for trout and head out to Montara and catch some lings!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 pm
lazarusx3

Man, I always knew that there could be rockfishing in Socal around the PV area, but I never actually heard of anyone catching any real rockfish down here. Nice to know that it wasn't all imaginary (I usually only see reports of people getting opaleye around PV for some reason).
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:20 am
kelpangler

Nice job SN, looking forward to your pics!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:15 am
salty nick

A couple notes... I think I was probably near the end of an outgoing when I caught the fish, and I was casting out as far as I could. Also, the grassie that I kept had a big extended belly - upon cleaning, I found a partially decomposed whole fish of some sort that was about 7", folded in half in its stomach. Rockfish are greedy pigs.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:56 pm
frozendog

Good job showing those SoCal boys how it's done. Hmm...I used to be one of those. It doesn't help now, but frozen, or better yet, fresh smelt travel well in the ice chest. The frozen will last several days after they thaw out. When we go camping and fishing, I always bring along several bags of smelt to use with the frozen squid. Plus, I use a vacuum seal so they don't leak in the ice chest. My only suggestion for traveling anchovies would be to wrap them in several layers of newspaper, then put them in a plastic bag so the newspaper doesn't get wet and leech ink all over your ice.
As always, good fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 am
salty nick

Here's some pics. Good ideas, FD - thanks for the smelt info. I need to get a vacuum sealer.

Actually, I was hoping to get more SoCal species, like calicos or sheepshead - I was a little disappointed when I pulled up the grassie (what?). At least I caught one calico.

Also, I'm not clued-in to the local culture/history, but looked like there was some sort of shipwreck at Malaga Cove?

Salty.

pv_malaga_cv.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.96 KB
 Viewed:  1611 Time(s)

pv_malaga_cv.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:37 am
frozendog

salty nick wrote:

Also, I'm not clued-in to the local culture/history, but looked like there was some sort of shipwreck at Malaga Cove?

Salty.

I think this might be it: article on the Dominator
http://www.lakata.org/arch/dominator/

Looking at (or being on) a sunken or sinking boat or ship is always an eerie experience. I know, I've been there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:43 am
frozendog

Also,
Especially to new or younger Board members: Salty Nick is a good fisherman no matter where he goes. He fishes in Northern Ca, but from the rocks and the same skills will work from the rocks in So. Cal or in Oregon. Even though the fish are different. they live in the same kind of structure and environment. So, if some one asks you to try fishing somewhere you're not familiar with - go! Try something new. Maybe you will learn something, but you'll always remember it because it's something different. Just do it - fish!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm
salty nick

frozendog wrote:

I think this might be it: article on the Dominator
http://www.lakata.org/arch/dominator/

Looking at (or being on) a sunken or sinking boat or ship is always an eerie experience. I know, I've been there.

Thanks for the link, FD. Interesting to know the history behind the wreck. You piqued my interest with the comment about being on a sinking ship.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:41 pm
drudown

That spot sure does look fishy, beautiful pictures.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: