pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> penn international 975 star drag rebuild [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:04 pm
alantani

since there's been some interest in these reels, i thought i'd skip to this reel next. a friend brought in a set of 9 series star drag penn internationals. here's a link to the schematic....

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/Penn-Parts---Text-International-Reels-W38C413.aspx

and here are the reels.

right off the bat, there were a few "problems" noted.

first remove the handle and the star, including the handle nut cap screw (key #32), the handle nut cap (key #110A), the handle nut (key #23), the handle assembly (key #24), the star drag (key #10), the two disc clutch springs, aka. bellevilles (key #1Cool. then back out the two sideplate screws (key #3Cool. the side plate and the spool can not be removed as separate units.

take this time now to remove, grease and reinstall the rod clamp screws (key #34).

lube the left spool bearing and the levelwind assembly. re-install the spool and set it aside.

remove the right side plate screws (key #50A).

remove the right side plate and set aside the bearing clutch shaft (key #98S) and the roller bearing (key #98B).

remove the drag metal and fiber washers and the main gear in order.

this is what you should have left. if the inner side plate is dissassembled further than this, refer to this photo for reassembly.

apply a generous coat of shimano or cal's drag grease to the drag washers and reassemble the drag stack.

replace the anti-reverse roller bearing assembly with new parts if you find extensive damage such as this.

re-install the side plate, the star and the handle, and you're done. if you want to take a quick look at your reel, you need only back out the two "take-apart screws" in the right side plate (key #3Cool and the side plate comes off cleanly for a quick inspection. grab your camera and let us know what you find!

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:50 am
stripesidechaser

Thanks Alan! I have the 975 CS and wanted to ask if you had ever done one, but didn't want to bother you. I will definitely be sitting in front of my computer when I tear mine down.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:52 am
stripesidechaser

Darn it... as usual, posted and forgot to ask the questions... are the drags usually "wet"? Also, you normally replace those washers... why not this time? Finally, what do you think of the reel?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:09 pm
alantani

it sorta depends on how the drags look. the washers may have a little bit of grunge on them that you can rub off. if they're soaked in oil, or hardened with rust, they get tossed for sure.

soft call.

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: