Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:16 am
illcatchanything2

Never tried king fish.

Flounder are good baked or grilled.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:41 pm
seabass_seeker

King Fish aka White Croaker aka Ronkie Recipe, exerpt from Peter Howorth's "Foraging Along the Pacific Coast."

"White Croaker (ronkies) are actually very good to eat. People who maintain these fish are wormy have probably never tried them. White croakers are generally less wormy than halibut. Besides, the worms are harmless once they are cooked."
"Ronkies make good Fish 'n' Chips. Combine one cup flour with 1/2 cup water. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Beat thoroughly, adding 2 eggs as you stir."
"Deep-fry several sliced potatoes until they are golden brown and well cooked. This takes about 20 minutes. Next, dip boneless chunks of ronkie fillets into the batter and deep fry until they are a crispy, golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve."

Tried it once when I was a kid. If anything like their cousin, the yellow-fin croaker, any recipe calling a white meat fish will do.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm
Ken Jones

A couple of things. (1) White croaker are the worst fish as far as their habit of eating in the area of sewage outfalls. Basically I would not recommend eating white croaker in the Los Angeles area or the Bay Area or, at the very least, eat minimal amounts of fish in those areas. (2) White croakers in colder water areas, i.e., the central coast, are much more firm fleshed than white croakers in southern California.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm
seabass_seeker

Completely agree, but boy do they give newbie fisherfriends something to examine because they actually look like "fish."
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: