|I made this yesterday for the first time. Came out good but not as good as my mother's recipe.
- thaw squid (Pusit)
- prepare squid by pulling off head, slitting eyes to drain the ink, pull out transparent cartilage from body
- in a pot place 1 pound of squid, one cup of water, 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of soy sauce to boil. add a 3 pieces of bay leaves
- i think 3 pounds of squid will feed a family
- squid is more or less cooked when they shrink down to about 1/4 their size and is pink. I think if you slit the body in half, it doesn't shrink as much and you get more to chew on
- BUT! you need to heat oil on a pan, brown some garlic, maybe some sliced onions, and spoon out the squid onto this pan without the broth.
- Actually I added a few scoops of broth into the saute
- heat over medium fire for 15 minutes, add salt pepper etc to taste
now my mother seems to keep most of the ink and perhaps use more vinegar. her squid is more soupy and tastes stronger. i don't know how she does it!