pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Adobo Pusit [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 am
pinfish

I made this yesterday for the first time. Came out good but not as good as my mother's recipe.

- thaw squid (Pusit)
- prepare squid by pulling off head, slitting eyes to drain the ink, pull out transparent cartilage from body
- in a pot place 1 pound of squid, one cup of water, 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of soy sauce to boil. add a 3 pieces of bay leaves
- i think 3 pounds of squid will feed a family
- squid is more or less cooked when they shrink down to about 1/4 their size and is pink. I think if you slit the body in half, it doesn't shrink as much and you get more to chew on
- BUT! you need to heat oil on a pan, brown some garlic, maybe some sliced onions, and spoon out the squid onto this pan without the broth.
- Actually I added a few scoops of broth into the saute
- heat over medium fire for 15 minutes, add salt pepper etc to taste

done

now my mother seems to keep most of the ink and perhaps use more vinegar. her squid is more soupy and tastes stronger. i don't know how she does it!
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 am
jgy

pinfish wrote:
now my mother seems to keep most of the ink and perhaps use more vinegar. her squid is more soupy and tastes stronger. i don't know how she does it!

My family does this as well. one of my favorite dishes growing up! The way my aunt cooked it, it was very soupy and had a lot of vinegar in it. I think you should use 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup of soy and see if it has a stronger taste. I like it strong myself.

Also, for those that don't know, the smaller store-bought squid are what I usually see this made out of, not the huge Humboldt Bay squid that grow to a few feet long!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: