pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> OT: Alaska halibut fishing [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:53 pm
malaga6

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience w/Alaska fishing. I'm planning a trip for my dad and I. He's always wanted to go to an Alaska lodge and land some big hali's and kings. There are so many when you search the web. I have no clue where to start. Was wondering if anyone has been up there and has some recommendations. I'm looking for a 3 night stay. Thanks in advance.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:48 pm
grammar police

Here you go.

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:04 pm
PLugLine

Captains Steve Smith and his brother Chris both run out of Ninilchik, Alaska and are 100% top quality operations....Check em out at www.captainstevessaltwatercharters.com
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:49 am
stripesidechaser

PLugLine wrote:
Captains Steve Smith and his brother Chris both run out of Ninilchik, Alaska and are 100% top quality operations....Check em out at www.captainstevessaltwatercharters.com

Their dad is Jim Smith, owner of Happy Hooker, and the baby of the family, James is owner of the California Dawn. Both boats run out of Berkeley in the spring and summer and move to Martinez in the fall.
During the spring run, Jim typically goes up for a few weeks to "help out" with the business.
Also, the woman listed on the site (I believe) is their sister.
If you call for reservations on Jim's boat, you typically talk to his wife, who is the sweetest little lady.
What am I saying here? This is a family who knows fishing and is very friendly. They know how to show you a good time and get you on some fish!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:35 am
baitchucker

Quote:
SSC Wrote:
What am I saying here? This is a family who knows fishing and is very friendly. They know how to show you a good time and get you on some fish!

Jim Smith is not a nice guy. I've seen him stack up the halibut and not even call his kid whose party boat was nearly skunked. He's on the radio often asking for numbers(fish count & lat/long), but won't give any out. I've seen him argue with other captains (Mike Shimmel & Steve Talmadge) about clients that quit going on the Happy Hooker and show up on their boats.

No doubt about it. Jim Smith is a hell of a fisherman, captain, and business man. But a nice guy... that's pushing it. His boys are a different story. James is a hell of guy. So too are the other brothers.

Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:01 am
stripesidechaser

baitchucker wrote:

Jim Smith is not a nice guy. I've seen him stack up the halibut and not even call his kid whose party boat was nearly skunked. He's on the radio often asking for numbers(fish count & lat/long), but won't give any out. I've seen him argue with other captains (Mike Shimmel & Steve Talmadge) about clients that quit going on the Happy Hooker and show up on their boats.

No doubt about it. Jim Smith is a hell of a fisherman, captain, and business man. But a nice guy... that's pushing it. His boys are a different story. James is a hell of guy. So too are the other brothers.

Weird, I've been hearing some things lately... he didn't used to be like that at all. Alzheimers starting maybe?
Chris also used to be here, he had the Capt Hook. He sold it last year and went up to Alaska to be with his brother.
My favorite trip with James was a sturgeon trip. Fishing was really slow and he broke out a gas powered blender and made margharitas for everybody on the boat. We didn't mind the slow fishing at all.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:02 am
baitchucker

Jim's is and always will be a tough competitor. He raised his boys to be captains... AND I mean the legacy type of captain. About the only captain that I have seen drive his passengers to fish HARDER was Frank LoPreste. Jim will yell, shove, pull, and kick deckhands and passengers alike. You better not miss a fish. But in the end, Jim's fish count is gonna be pretty good.
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:08 am
eelmaster

Haha! The mate on the boat I go on in NC yells, screams, curses and shuvs folks into position. He always appologizes after the fight is done, but he takes it very personally if we don't land each and every fish. Here's a link to th boat. We CRUSH em' off this thing.
http://www.kokonutzfishing.net/
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: