pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Bay Area Trout Fishing [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:02 am
northern boy

Alright then, a thread for Bay area trout.

I'll start with a few more questions for those in the know.

My most recent trip to Lake Chabot was a disaster, the water was like chocolate milk, and it seems everyone else knew it wouldn't produce as M'Lady and I had the lake to ourselves. Even the updated Chabot report, normally so positive, said "it's muddy, you will struggle".

So, any tips for hauling trout out of chocolate milk, or should i just stick to sand dabs until the chocolate has settled?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:59 pm
clayman

Fishing for trout in really dirty water can be tough. Usually if the water has less than 2 feet of visibility, then I wouldn't bother trying. But if you're going to fish it no matter what, try using either a real smelly bait like roe or a bait that is real bright or visible, such as bright Power Bait or a worm/marshmallow combo. Probably wouldn't hurt to dip these in your favorite scents either.

Oh, and I remember one time while fishing Lake Almanor for trout when I was nailin em using a gold 1/4 ounce Kastmaster when the water was real dirty. Nobody else was catching anything, not even the bait guys. So big, bright lures might also be worth a shot.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:19 pm
PLugLine

Fishing your baits higher in the column at chabot with the muddy water is critical. I go to like a 4+ foot leader when the chocolate is in and scent is critical,as is the size of your bait. Covering ground is a big part too. I will move after an hour of no bites at chabot during the "muddy season"...
Fishing near creeks or flowing water is important too. The water will be filled with floating debris and insects that the trout wont hesitate in investigating. Thats when I go to lures. Gold Kastmasters are a must as are mepps spinners. I think I'm gunna try this sunday, I'll fill u guys in...
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:21 pm
northern boy

Thanks, I look forward to it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:58 am
gyt

Oh, good ole' lake chabot. the best advice I could give you is head to where there are streams running into the lake... like racoon point or bass cove in the back. and use a worm that isnt suspended off the bottom. trout can't see in the mud so they use their noses and look for stuff on the bottom. my friend and i caught 3 trout total last thursday over at basscove using this method. i've been fishing chabot for awhile now, PM me and we might be able to hook up.

and when this water clears up - there will be limits.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:27 pm
powerdriver8

It is very true to fish in racoon point area when it is muddy. I caught trout back there off mack when its was muddy and if it dont work there is still pretty much always cats back there that will bite.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:06 pm
northern boy

I went to Lake Berryessa Sunday (M'lady was at a cooking class in Napa).

Caught nothing but sunburn on one of the little creeks that feeds into the main lake on the west side, but did see someone pull out a trout with a kastmaster.

Was there from 1-3pm with powerbait and nightcrawlers.

Think I'll have to get up earlier to catch trout.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:31 pm
sleepingisnicer

if you go up to lake berryessa again try fishing in putah creek, they stock it regularly with browns and rainbows in the 8-12" range by the bridges and in lake solano (a damned up part of the creek), bait dunking will usually get you a few fish, powerbait for rainbows worms for browns. if you fish off the beaten path and dont mind hiking around (sometimes with no paths) you can get into some nice wild fish, i've caught several over 24" there.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:52 pm
northern boy

sleepingisnicer wrote:
if you go up to lake berryessa again try fishing in putah creek, they stock it regularly with browns and rainbows in the 8-12" range by the bridges and in lake solano (a damned up part of the creek), bait dunking will usually get you a few fish, powerbait for rainbows worms for browns. if you fish off the beaten path and dont mind hiking around (sometimes with no paths) you can get into some nice wild fish, i've caught several over 24" there.

Aha, that looks very promising, thanks a lot.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:42 pm
sleepingisnicer

there is a little bait shop/market by lake solano that always knows whats going on, i forget the name of it though but its hard to miss. the owner is a great resource for fishing information for the whole area. i wish i had a name or number to give you.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:07 am
fishmom

Northern Boy, If you fish Putah Creek, please be aware of the New Zealand mud snail infestation there. All waders, boots, etc. must be disinfected after coming into contact with the water. According to Cal Flyfisher, the remedy is: equal amounts of water and Formula 409 Degreaser/Disinfectant (different from the regular formula, I believe) and a 5 minute soak. These critters are tiny (0.2 in) and easily transported, leading to a spread of the problem.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:43 am
2d

also, the creek upstream of the bridge flyfishing only, barbless hooks, catch and release until the general trout opener. I believe lake solano (below the bridge) is open.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:12 pm
northern boy

Thanks Chaps.

What would I do without PFIC?
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: