pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Another San Pablo Yak Report (Updated w/Pics) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:35 pm
rock hopper

Launched solo out of Buck's Landing this morning to one of the most beautiful sunrises I've seen in a long time. Brilliant oranges and pinks pasted up against the high cloud layer. The water was glass, the tules were filled with egrets, and a lone blue heron was digging furiously in the mud. I paddled toward the Pumphouse and stopped just North East of the last duck blind and dropped anchor. I fished plump, healthy ghostshrimp that I pumped yesterday afternoon. My first cast got the classic pump, but I waited for the second one and it never came. Reeled in to find my bait was gone. Shortly after my next cast I got a few little taps, but nothing solid. I saw Sharkbait (from NorCalKayakAnglers) and Erik (PFIC's Yakfisher) paddle into the Honey Hole, so I pulled anchor and joined them.

A little after the tide turned I got another pump. This time I pointed my rod tip toward the fish, waited for the second pump and swung for the fences. Fish on! I went for the ol’ sturgy sleigh ride and Erik paddled over for the assist and snapped a few pics with the disposable.

Battle Shot:

Another Battle Shot:

Erik has a tape measure on the side of his ‘yak and we measured it out at 57”.

Gave the big fella a pat on the head and off he went. My first keeper! Much props to Erik for the assist – there’s no way I could’ve landed that thing by myself.

Towards the top of the tide I rounded out my action with a ~16” striper. Took off after that to try and beat the tide swing and prevent a more laborious paddle.

Man, this stuff is addicting!

Caught the fish on a double 5/0 Gamakatsu wide gap worm hook sturgy leader with a 1/2oz weight seperating the hooks. 5oz pyramid, 60lb maxima leader, 8.5' Seeker Blue Lightning Inshore Series rod and Quantum PT Cabo reel loaded with 25lb Momoi. This fish was no match for that set-up and, from the yak anyway, I could probably get an oversize fish boatside no problem with it.

Last edited by rock hopper on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:50 pm
east bay fisher

nice fish. Too bad I couldn't get out this weekend for sturgies(was up in the mountains). Gotta love that seeker. I didn't know they made a 8'5". I own the 8' tho.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:59 pm
red fish

WTG Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:37 pm
mel

Congrats on the sturgy, man! It IS addicting, ain't it? Good thing you decided to pump your own shrimp. Most of the local shops in the area were out. I think I may have run into one of them kayak cats this morning in Western Bait and Tackle. He was trying to locate some ghost shrimp but they were out so I directed him to Loch Lomond but I think they were out too. He had a big Ford pick up with a yellow yak? Once again, cograts! WooHoo! Any pics?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:24 am
johnthefisherman69

Dude, next set of big daytime tides we need to get back out there. Red and I launched from bullhead flats and it was a super short paddle to the spot where red got jiggy with his sturgeon. I swear that thing fought like a keeper. Here is your mandatory,,WAY TO GO! I'm gonna try to get out somewhere on my yak this weekend. Cant wait to see those pics. JTF..
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:48 am
rock hopper

Thanks, er'body!

Mel, that was probably Sharkbait you saw trying to get shrimp. I always pump my own bait. It's ten times better than what the shops sell.

In fact, the shrimp I got my sturgeon on was a huge one (~6" extended) full of eggs that I had tried to let go. I let all the pregnant females go, if they're not injured, but no matter what I did this one kept climbing her way back to the surface. If I would've left her there the seagulls would've gotten her for sure. So I kept her and she blessed me with my first keeper sturgeon!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:20 am
stripesidechaser

Sounds a little more exciting than the jetty! Did it drag your anchor at all?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:39 am
rock hopper

No, I keep my anchor clipped to one of the eyelets on my yak. As soon as I hooked up I tossed it (it has a bouy attached). With the gear I had I probably could've landed the sturgeon at anchor, but then you run the risk of the fish getting tangled in your anchor rope.

Plus, it's a lot more fun (and cool looking) to get pulled around the bay by a 60lb sturgeon.

Also - I'm attaching more eyelets to my yak so I can bring a small waterproof Pelican case with me. It's big enough to throw my old lady's camera in - so next time I'll have my own pics. I could have easily took pictures of my rod bent in half and the sturgeon swirling if I had my own camera.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:14 pm
salty nick

Sounds like a fun ride! Congrats!

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:58 am
rock hopper

Hey JTF - let me know the next time you can make it out there.

You too, Red.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:47 am
fakefisherman

WTG, RH!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:39 pm
tinle

WTG!! nice catch! seems like tons of fun!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:53 pm
unclesteve

Big Upz Dustin,

Ya know, it seems like a lot of guys are yaking for fish these days. I can swim okay but if I'm 100 yards away from land forget it. You guys got folks yaking for fish even though they can't swim like dolphins? Just wondering if its possible to try it safely for those who can't swim that well.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:33 pm
thecrw

Dustin,

Congrats on your dino, you guys are really makin me jealouse out here.
At least i've got your reports to keep me dreamin.

Steve,
If you always wear your PFD and yak fish w/ others, it should be no problem. Just do yourself a favor and practice self rescue (meaning learning to get back on your yak if you tip) and it should be no problem. Just ask Red.

~EL
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:06 am
rock hopper

"I can swim okay but if I'm 100 yards away from land forget it."

Then you wouldn't have wanted to be with us out there, Steve. We paddled three miles out!

But like Elric said, if you have your PFD on you have no worries. Just make sure you can get back in your kayak without exhausting yourself, or before you catch hypothermia.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: