pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> squid [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:16 am
eelmaster

does anyone know of any boats going out for squid after Christmas (out of the Bodega area)? I called Will's out of Bodega, they won't start until maybe January. And I'd rather use razor blades for toilet paper than go out on a Powers trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:44 pm
orkspace

What do these trips involve? I assume that they're jigging for huge humboldt squid? If so, I'm dying to go (after watching a video of fishermen jigging for them in the Gulf of California).
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:55 pm
fakefisherman

We should set up a squid trip. I wanted to do it this year but never got a good chance to go. What I'm going to do with a 35lb squid...who knows...but I've always wanted to catch em.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:35 pm
dsrtegl

I would love to do some squidding as well and ditto on what Monte says about a certain Bodega Blowhard.\

YEARS ago I deckhanded a charter of Japanese and Russian execs when we got into a school of Humboldts. The sight of a bunch of grown men.....Many with grey hair, chasing each other around using the Humboldts as giant squirtguns, laughting like a bunch of schoolkids will stick with me forever....As will the mess I had to clean up afterward....The TIPS were awesome however.

Lets try to get a charter together if we can....That would be a blast.

MMMMM....Squidburgers, with shoestring crispy seasoned squid fries on the side, a little horseradish, a little cocktail sauce and tarter sauce on the sandwich.

DAMMMIT.....Drooling on the keyboard here.

Derek
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:59 pm
PLugLine

Give capt.Craig (Shim) Shimokusu a call about a charter out of Emeryville. He knows his stuf, has a fast boat, and one hell of a deckhand. Im going out on the 7th of Jan. for some Humboldt action...heavy gear is must...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:05 pm
ark

I wanna go this time as well. Can't wait for some nice big steaks in the fryer.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:22 pm
orkspace

Renee and I are also in if there's going to be a PFIC charter (or informal get together on a party boat).
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:22 pm
orkspace

PLugLine wrote:
Give capt.Craig (Shim) Shimokusu a call about a charter out of Emeryville. He knows his stuf, has a fast boat, and one hell of a deckhand. Im going out on the 7th of Jan. for some Humboldt action...heavy gear is must...

1. Is he one of the Emeryville Sport Fishing skippers?

2. What's "heavy gear"?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:49 pm
dsrtegl

orkspace wrote:
PLugLine wrote:

2. What's "heavy gear"?

Penn 3/0 or 4/0, Penn 66, 67, 68, 555 or similar from another manufacturer. A rod with just a little more bend than a pool cue. PLease remember the fight is not over when the squid hits the deck....It just gets messier and more interesting.

Sounds like we need to get something together on the "Event Board".

I have enough rigs for 4 or 5 people I think.

Derek
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:59 pm
fakefisherman

I went on an albacore trip with Shim about 4 years ago out of Emeryville. He was a deckhand on the boat...great guy! Didn't know he was a captain as well. Very cool.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:52 am
rock hopper

I'm in!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:02 am
eelmaster

I'm in as well. I just wish that folks were running before the new year.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:25 pm
stripesidechaser

Darn it, I'm away with the wife that weekend.... Grrr!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:13 pm
ark

dsrtegl wrote:
orkspace wrote:
PLugLine wrote:

2. What's "heavy gear"?

Penn 3/0 or 4/0, Penn 66, 67, 68, 555 or similar from another manufacturer. A rod with just a little more bend than a pool cue. PLease remember the fight is not over when the squid hits the deck....It just gets messier and more interesting.

Sounds like we need to get something together on the "Event Board".

I have enough rigs for 4 or 5 people I think.

Derek

What kind of line do you use? I have 30lb line on my 4/0.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:36 am
PLugLine

That'll work, BUT...You want to be safer instead of sorry...a friend of mine uses 100lb spec on a 50wide with a heavy (2x) stand-up rod, and with good reason. When fishing in 800+ feet of water with 2 to 5lb jigs, and with squid topping out over 50lbs, you want a set-up that is going to allow you the most possible leverage and comfort during a fight that can last longer than most would think (an hour+)...
My parting words...half of the battle is in the water...the other 90% is in the boat...
I can set-up a PFIC squid charter on the NSQ, if we have enough interest...
PM me...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 3  Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: