pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Freshwater (!) Fishing in Sacramento [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:44 pm
orkspace

As a lot of you know, Renee and I are pretty much newbies when it comes to fishing -- the first time we went fishing was crabbing off of the Pillar Point Pier on 12/26/04 in Half Moon Bay. With the help of this wonderful board and the second edition of Ken's invaluable treatise, we've learned volumes of practical and theoretical information about saltwater fishing.

The problem is that I find myself farther away from salty waters and with less energy to make the drive than before: My parents used to live in San Mateo, which was a reasonable drive from Davis. Their house made a great crash-pad for fishing in Half Moon Bay and in Pacifica. My parents have since moved to Mountain View, which is a heckuva lot less convenient to fish from and drive to, especially since we've moved 15 miles east from Davis.

Combined with my dehumanizing work schedule (tiny violin whining away), Renee and I have much less time to fish than we used to. We're often too exhausted to make the 2+ hour drive to the coast.

This brings me to the point (about time, you say): Where are some decent places to fish within a short drive of downtown Sacramento? I'm vaguely aware that there are rivers and reservoirs nearby, and that such bodies of water contain fish that may or may not be as fun to catch as the salty beasts that I so adore. I have *no* idea what sort of species to target, what sort of tackle to use, and how to avoid the powerboating/wakeboarding/NASCAR crowd.

I've been to the DFG's fishing guide at this page, but found it incomprehensible.

Any hints?

Much obliged,

Dan
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:50 pm
orkspace

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we don't own boats or waders either. :-p

Again, thanks in advance for your indulgence in my meanderings.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:01 pm
virge

Hey orkspace, I work in downtown Sac as well (probably equally dehumanizing work schedule). About a month ago I tried fishing the Sacramento River (west bank) with a friend. If you bring a change of clothes, its only a few minutes from downtown. Still, it was almost dark by the time we got set up. We were only there for about 30 minutes but got multiple hits and managed to hook one undersize striper. We would've stayed on longer but for the gathering of local residents for some party on the riverbank and the kids target shooting with a pellet gun.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:19 pm
PLugLine

SPEAK Baitchucker! SPEAK!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:27 pm
songslinger

It might be time to become a river fisherman. You are near (relatively speaking) the American, Sacramento, and Yuba rivers. Shad, striper, salmon, catfish, carp, sturgeon--all these might be good search keywords. Drive along the rivers and get a feel for them; it's also a cool ride. Rivers have back channels or sloughs, so they can be fished to good effect for crappies, bluegills, smallmouth and the whisker fish.

Lakes nearby are Rancho Seco, Folsom, and Natoma, where a potential record trout was caught a couple months back:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/051024recordtrout.html

A really good investment is California Fishing by Tom Stienstra. Maps and great writing, a treasure.

Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:34 pm
PLugLine

Amen to that Slinger, its my second Bible!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:05 am
guycognito

Hey orkspace, I live in Davis and I'm looking for local spots too. I've fished a couple places, but I haven't fished enough to understand how to work these places. There may be some stripers at Discovery Park. Also, I've been told the Port of Sacramento is good for catfish. Google search "port of sacramento" for a map. I actually scoped it out yesterday only to find out that I need a truck or suv because the access road is a dirt path.

The Port of Sacramento is labelled "c" on this google map.. http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=port+of&near=Sacramento,+CA&sa=X&oi=localr

This looks like a pic of a spot along the Port of Sacramento.. http://community.webshots.com/photo/161157511/165079829GGyIut

Email me if you do go out.. guycognitoATgmailDOTcom, maybe we can combine our search efforts.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:49 am
stripesidechaser

That record trout was caught in "Negro Bar", if you are looking for a fishable place in that area.
Also, in downtown Sac is Discovery Park on Richards Blvd. This is where the American enters the Sacramento. If you go, when you enter the park, don't go over the bridge, but go to the right... the road dips down, and you can go left, under the bridge. Fish just left of the point for shad (using shad darts), or striper (pile worms work great)... if you have a little time, take red worms on a very light rig and try to catch a pike minnow... if you can get one smaller than about 10", you have a serious live Striper candy.
This is also a great salmon spot, but more for the boater.
Also, be VERY careful in the water there... on that side, the current is extremely strong (and doesn't appear to be), and a few people drown there each year.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:20 am
fat freddy

The American River has runs of Salmon, Steelhead, Stripers, and Shad. During these runs, the fishing can be fantastic, but the downside is that you are sharing the river with thousands of other anglers.

Not all of these fishermen are sportsmen and it's not unusual to see groups of poachers, especially salmon snaggers, with wheelbarrows full of illegal fish.

At the popular access spots along the river, and there are only so many, you can sometimes see anglers lined up elbow to elbow. And at Discovery Park you could probably cross the river by hopping from boat to boat.

It's not always like this, just during the "best fishing times". You can go wet a line anytime any maybe even catch something.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:35 am
stripesidechaser

fat freddy wrote:
The American River has runs of Salmon, Steelhead, Stripers, and Shad. During these runs, the fishing can be fantastic, but the downside is that you are sharing the river with thousands of other anglers.

Not all of these fishermen are sportsmen and it's not unusual to see groups of poachers, especially salmon snaggers, with wheelbarrows full of illegal fish.

At the popular access spots along the river, and there are only so many, you can sometimes see anglers lined up elbow to elbow. And at Discovery Park you could probably cross the river by hopping from boat to boat.

It's not always like this, just during the "best fishing times". You can go wet a line anytime any maybe even catch something.

Yeah, it can get ugly at discovery park during the salmon run, but I think that's pretty much over.

BTW, for anyone who goes there... this park has a no alcohol policy that is strictly enforced. I've seen many people hauled off in cuffs for drinking beer there.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 am
2d

Dan,
Check out my reply to Adam a few threads down (winter fishing in sac). mostly flyfishing info there, but it applies (especially during summer) to all angling forms.
also, a lot depends on whether you want to C&R or C&eat. there are a lot of great spots up in your area that have (imo) inedible fish (think fertilizer and pesticide runoff).
email me for more exact details. there's a reason it took me as long as it did to graduate from Davis, and beer+women weren't it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:09 am
stripesidechaser

2d wrote:
Dan,
Check out my reply to Adam a few threads down (winter fishing in sac). mostly flyfishing info there, but it applies (especially during summer) to all angling forms.
also, a lot depends on whether you want to C&R or C&eat. there are a lot of great spots up in your area that have (imo) inedible fish (think fertilizer and pesticide runoff).
email me for more exact details. there's a reason it took me as long as it did to graduate from Davis, and beer+women weren't it.

Summer C&R... there is a little spot at Negro Bar where you can do light tackle carp fishing at certain times of day... it is crazy!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:18 pm
orkspace

songslinger wrote:

A really good investment is California Fishing by Tom Stienstra. Maps and great writing, a treasure.

Thanks for recommending the book -- there was a book sale in my building's lobby today, and I managed to pick this up for $12. Smile

And thanks all for the recommendations -- we'll have to meetup sometime guycognito!

And now I have a lot more homework to do on this. Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 am
baitchucker

Hey All,
I have the key to the Gate that leads to Port O Sac private launch ramp (Lake Washington Outbaord Club). A lot of folks fish it for the Stripers, Salmon, and Cats from the public side. But the private side has better access & contours, Largemouth and Crappie as well.

If anyone is interested, send me an email or PM from this site if you want to meet me there. Starting Jan. 9th, I'm going to be on the water at the Port, 5 days a week (M-F) from 4:00pm to 7:00pm (My kids are in Varisty Crew for Rivercity Rowing). Sorry, only 1 or 2 guests at a time as the Outboard Club frowns on heavy usage by those that don't belong to the club.

As well, unless you want to fish the private side from shore (docks), you might want to give me a week to figure out some of the spots. From shore, I'm dialed in to it like a swiss clock. But this will be my first year being able to fish it from a boat.

At any rate, if you ever want to know how the Port is doing (fishwise), just call Troy Outdoors in West Sac. Troy usually has the skinny for that area.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:37 pm
tinle

Hey!
I live in Davis also. I'm originally from Pinole, but I goto school at UCD. I've been looking for places to fish up in the Sac area also. I wanted to fish in the rivers, but have only had time to go trout fishin in putah and and Lake berryessa. Putah Creek and Lake Berryessa are both close to davis, it's only like a 30 minute drive to putah creek. If you bought that fishing book, you can read up on putah creek and berryessa. Lemme know if you wanna make a trip sometime!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: