pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Shadow Cliffs [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:12 pm
minnowmagnet

My dad and I got there at 3:00 and as soon as I got my powerbait line in the water I got a nice hit but lost it then I recasted then my dad lost one then I caught a 16" trout then a 15" after that my dad got a 17" trout then the bite stopped and we left at 5:30.
All fish caught on green or white powerbait.

I sight fish for stripers off my roof Very Happy
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:15 am
Eccman

Hello,

I never have any luck at shadow cliffs. I remember once everybody around me was catching fish.They would cast and bam, they would have a trout. I limited out there once in about 50 times going there. Now I go to Los Vaqueros and have had good luck there.

Ian

To Fish or Not To Fish...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:11 am
northern boy

Do you have a tip or two for a spot at Los Vasqueros that would make the long drive from San Francisco worthwhile?

(I am fed up of getting skunked at Lake Chabot).
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:15 pm
red fish

northern boy wrote:
Do you have a tip or two for a spot at Los Vasqueros that would make the long drive from San Francisco worthwhile?

Maybe you should try a longer rod at Chabot. I have found at these reservoirs that the fish are usually in about 20 feet of water most times or more (during the hot Summer). Many times on the sloping bank, the water does not drop off until you are about 30-40 yards out. I have only really caught catfish at Honker Bay there though. But, either near the dam (which is a long walk or bicycle ride) or a long-cast should help. Haven't done too much fishing there since they stopped having the catfish tournaments in August.

Last edited by red fish on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:06 pm
PLugLine

Ahh the good ol' days...Trout fishing was my thing way back when, and if I had the time to go out there and do it, Chabot would be a great place to start. Leader has always been important, but proper presentation has also been a key factor. I stick with 3lb maxima ultragreen leader just for kicks, and at chabot have had the most luck fishing the honker bay and surround area. Raccoon point had some really nice fish too, but I usually saw them later in the "season"...Two rod stamp is critical, so is are rod holders (corkscrew ones, 2$ at sportmart)and bite detecting systems...(i use the good ol hangin' bobber on an open snap swivel)...gotta run PM me for some good tricks...
Good luck out there NB..
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:38 pm
mel

Good going on the trout Minnow. Are you guys using the typical Carolina type rig? I used to use that with a size 12 or 14 treble hook. The problem with that was after I got my trout fishing technique down to a science, I noticed that too many of them were swallowing the hook. I began keeping my line tight and using regular salmon egg hooks but a little bigger. I forgot what size they were but they were those big red ones to have more of a chance to lip hook them. I also stopped using the bobber on the line because that would give the trout too much of a chance to swallow it too. I would try to set the hook right after I detected a bite. Most of the trout after that were lip hooked but I didn't catch as many. Fresh trout are yummy if you can avoid the bones!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:28 pm
northern boy

Thanks for the tips chaps, I may head to Chabot tomorrow. I have had some success there, at Indian Cove and Raccoon Point, and have seen others have much more success. I just really fancy a change of scenery, and it seems my original plan of grubbing for perch on a picturesque beach somewhere isn't really feasible until the weather calms down.

I've got the rod holders and the bobbers and the open swivels and the two rod stamp, all I need is the fish!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:03 pm
Eccman

northern boy wrote:

Taking a boat out and trolling catches a lot of limits. I talked to one guy who limited out in an hour. That was in November.

To Fish or Not To Fish...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 am
northern boy

Eccman wrote:
northern boy wrote:

Taking a boat out and trolling catches a lot of limits. I talked to one guy who limited out in an hour. That was in November.

Aye, but it's not cheap! Unless I can persuade M'Lady and another to come with me.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:39 pm
tranbaby2

northern boy wrote:
Eccman wrote:
northern boy wrote:

Aye, but it's not cheap! Unless I can persuade M'Lady and another to come with me.

Yes, but I hear that they have $35 specials on wednesdays for an all-day rental. Anyway, there are other places to fish for trout.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:18 am
northern boy

tranbaby2 wrote:
northern boy wrote:
Eccman wrote:
northern boy wrote:

Yes, but I hear that they have $35 specials on wednesdays for an all-day rental. Anyway, there are other places to fish for trout.

whereabouts?

I'm looking for somewhere close to SF.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:26 am
mel

Lake Lafayette which is just on the other side of the Caldecott Tunnel in Walnut Creek is an excellent trout spot. Try dock number 3, cast out far with powerbait, green or orange. Or, in February, San Pablo Dam should be reopening where there's a good chance to catch a 10 pound trout from shore. Both of these spots are about a 30 to 40 minute drive from SF.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:15 am
pescare

Guys, give Minnow his space and start your own thread to discuss other topics. Of the eleven replies here, nine are irrelevant to the original post.

We have to use the place wisely to keep the quality up. Someone cruising for Bay Area trout fishing info would have a much better chance of finding it if these posts were in a thread under an appropriate title. Of course, there's the courtesy thing too....
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: