pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Sefood chowder [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 pm
frozendog

Now that winter is here, some seafood chowder sounded good. This is like meatloaf, everybody has a little different way of making it and it still comes out good.
Prep:
1. I took a large russet potato, peeled, and cut into small cubes. When I make soup, I like all the ingredients small - I like all the ingredients in each spoonful. Red potatoes would work fine. I just had a russet, so that's what I used. I covered the diced potato with just enough canned chicken both to cover. Covered the pan and set aside.
2. The fish - which in this case was one large monkey faced eel. Boneless, skinnles eel was cut into bite-sized pieces. Salt and pepper and a little Emeril's seasoning.
3. I took two pieces of bacon, small sliced, and put in soup pot.

4. I found some shrimp in the freezer. I usually have small bags in the freezer for cooking or sometimes for bait. Cleaned about 1/3 lb and cut them in half and added salt and pepper. Set aside.
Now you are set to go.
On one burner, start the potatoes, cook until aldente, not mushy.
On another burner, saute the bacon. If you can't eat bacon, leave it out or try turkey bacon.
Get your knife out and dice up about a med. sized onion and some celery. Celery and onion to your taste. Add it to the bacon with a little oil.

Your almost there.
When the veggies and potato are soft, combine the potato and broth with the veggies. Do not season until you are ready to eat.
Add a small container of 1/2 and 1/2. You can also use evaporated milk. I reserved a small piece of uncooked potato and grated it into the broth mixture to slightly thicken it as it simmers. I also added some dried thyme.
Simmer the mixture together at least 5-10 minutes or longer, so flavors blend but before potatoes get too soft. You don't want mashed potatoes.

You should be hungry by now. So add your fish and let cook for a minute. Then add shrimp and let it cook another minute. Then turn off the stove, cover and let it sit 10-15 minutes. The residual heat is enough to cook the fish and shrimp.
Now is the time to check on your seasoning. I added lots of black pepper - black because I want people to see it and know it's in there. Put a couple pats of putter on top. And that's it.

I served it with french bread and some fruit.
It reheats well the next day. Just has to be heated slowly because of the milk and you don't want to overcook your fish.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:58 pm
illcatchanything2

Sounds great. I think I will try that tonight. Thanks!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:51 pm
gordo grande

I've been looking for a good seafood chowder recipe. Thanks, FD! I'll give it a try.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:36 am
polishfromthedeep

this was sooooooooo good with thresher!!!!!!!!

thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 am
iamfisherman

mmmmmmm chowder....i'm going to try this now. looks so freank delicious...i'm hungry now. thanks FD.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: