pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Reel Lube Question [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm
tackleholic

Anyone know what's the difference between Reel-X which comes in a little squeeze bottle, and Corrosion-X which comes in a spray aerosol can like wd-40. I have both, I know the reel-x is great for lubing bearings and reel spindles, but what about the spray corrosion x? I read somewhere a while back that if you treated your reel parts with corrosion x when you first get the reel, they would be a lot more corrosion resistant, is this true? Also, I have this blue daiwa grease that I use for main gears and other moving parts that are non-bearing related....is this the same as that yamaha engine grease that Alan is always referring to, just repackaged as reel lube? I noticed the new Penn's also come with a little tube of blue grease as well, breaking away from the brown lube they've always used. Could this all be the same stuff, yamaha grease?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:28 pm
gyozadude

I can't speak for specific difference with corrosion-X or drip lube with reel-X, except perhaps the carrier fluids for each are different viscosities and have different vapour pressures. The spray seems to contain a more volatile carrier that evapourates quickly after spray so the remaining lube sticks and coats the surface. The reelX oil is more like a traditional 10 or 20 wt. oil with drip applicator bottle.

I don't think corrosionX is as viscous as that motorcycle gear grease Alan has suggested to use and my preference has been to physically coat all metal surfaces inside the reel with a very thin layer of that thick grease. It stays put as far as I can tell, even after long use in hot weather and if I soak the reel in water. While I'm not so sure about the reelX which seems evapourate over time or weep out from where I applied it over time and require re-application in heavy use situations on a biweekly basis.

I bought some of that Penn grease, and it has really similar characteristics to Alan's tub of motorcycle gear grease. And they want an arm and a leg for it. I found some all-weather bearing and gear grease at a Canadian Tire store up north a few years back that has very similar properties to Alan's grease and bought that and have been using it successfully. $7 CDN for a massive 1.5litre tub of the stuff. Now I'm just hunting for a couple of big tubs of light tan Shimano or Cal's drag grease that won't cost an arm and leg. Wish Costco sold drag grease in a massive tub. We could share it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm
tackleholic

Well, if you find some bigger quantity of the shimano tan drag grease, I'll go in for some of that. I have both the shimano and cal's, and I prefer the shimano, sticky smooth feel of their grease over Cals by a hair. Who knows, maybe on those really big 50 sized international reels, Cal's is better, but for any reel from a little spinner up to about a 4/0, I like the feel of shimano.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: