pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> 8 ft. cork handle jig stick question??? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:14 am
frozendog

Is there a way to put a reel seat on a 8ft. cork wrapped jig stick without removing all the guides?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 pm
tackleholic

I think only if the inner diameter of the reel seat is larger than the outer diameter of the blank at it's fattest point, so it depends on the rod blank. Even then you'd have to build up the spot where the reel seat would fit. I'm not a big fan of masking tape, I like that fiberglass mesh tape for patching holes in wallboard, then the epoxy so you get a solid bond, but that is for my heavy sticks where the bond at the reel seat is very important. It can kind of get heavy. If you use a graphite reel seat like a fuji 24, 26, or 28, then you could build it up with 1/4 inch strips of masking tape to snugly fit the seat, but like 5-8 wrapped around the blank at short intervals for even adhesion. You could add more cork tape and shrink wrap for the foregrip or rear grip, or just use seine twine epoxied to the blank. It comes in different diameters so if the reel seat is a lot bigger, get the bigger diameter. The rod I'm thinking about modifying is just too large in diameter to even fit an aftco ars 3, because it's a very thick walled glass rod.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: