pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> [QUESTION]: Berkley AIR IM7 casting rod? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:57 am
beginners_LUCK

i found this for pretty cheap (2 for 74.99/free shipping) compared to the really good/out of my budget rods out there. since im a beginner i thought that these might be up to par? ive heard good things about these rods but mostly from people that use lures... what do you guys think?

Berkley AIR IM7 Rod

* Chromium SS304 Guide System
* Concept guide spacing
* IM7 graphite blank
* Line Test: 10 - 20 lb
* Lure Weight: 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz.
* Model Number: A92-8-6MH
* Number of Guides: 10
* Rod Length: 8'6"
* Rod Pieces: 2
* Rod Power: MH
* Rod Type: Casting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 am
illcatchanything2

Well, it sounds like a decent enough rod, 8'6" is a good rod size for piers, although the lure (weight) & line rating is a little low for my taste. The price is right. If you order just make sure you read the return policy thoroughly, just in case its a "to good to be true" deal. You also might want to check out the fishing section of your local wal mart. My son just got a 9' casting rod/reel combo from there (Monster rock or something like that) and he loves it. He has caught leopard shark, rays and stripers on it with no problems, and he paid about the same price ($39.99 for the combo I think).
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 am

sounds like a nice rod for light whipping and perching. dont know the rod, but here's my opinion...

the line rating is alittle high for the lure weight so it maybe a little stiff. and also like ica2 said, the lure rating might be a little lite. when i usually go that low, i'll sometimes switch to a spinner. with the wind, on a baitcaster the wind slows down the nonaerodynamic light lures so you will sometimes backlash a little bit and/or lose distance. but an early morning dawn patrol or hitting the surf with a carolina rig and grub, that's a good set up.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 am
pinfish

specs look good.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 am
beginners_LUCK

oh ok, i understand the line rating being low but what lure weight should i go for? ive seen a few 1-6oz rated steelhead rods but only managed to find the pricey ones.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:05 am

it really depends on what you'll be fishing for and what you'll be using. if i'm going for stripers in the early morning inside the bay, i wouldn't hesitate to use the rod with a 1oz hairraiser or metal, with a small baitcaster. i wouldn't want to use crankbaits or swimbaits with it or in the afternoon, when the winds kick up, if i'm casting into the wind i'd probably lose substantial distance or even worse -- wind knots.

another potential use: if i'm on the jetty or somewhere distance isnt necessary, i have a similar rod (same specs and cheap) where i don't mind it getting banged up. u'll like the extra length for the reach and you'll like the extra stiffness to pull through some hang ups. just don't pull too hard.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: