pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Is this Shimano released in the US? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:15 am
ob_kook

I am currently in Japan on business, and stopped by a tackle shop where I picked up a Shimano reel on sale that seemed pretty nice.

I was looking for an English manual online and was unable to find one, so I'm wondering if it is even released in the US, or if possibly it's under a different name.

Here, it is called the SLS "Kobune" 800. http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/cat/detail.asp?k=1003

Any idea?

Kook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:38 pm
tackleholic

I highly doubt it's released in the U.S. or that this particular model ever will be. A lot of the Japanese released stuff never makes it to the US market...or if it does it's 3-5 years later. I'm still waiting for Shimano to release the Baitrunner LC (a baitrunner with a long cast spool similar to Daiwa Emblem's) They've been out some time in Japan, Malaysia, Europe, but you'd be hard pressed to find them in the U.S. which is a pity. Maybe if you email Shimano Japan and ask for some instruction translation, they can be helpful, or get a Japanese colleague or a nihonjin or Taiwanese board member to help you out and at least do a few quick translation of some of the kanji that might be on the instructions or on the electronic panel so you at least know how to read the panel.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 am
ob_kook

tackleholic wrote:
I highly doubt it's released in the U.S. or that this particular model ever will be. A lot of the Japanese released stuff never makes it to the US market...or if it does it's 3-5 years later. I'm still waiting for Shimano to release the Baitrunner LC (a baitrunner with a long cast spool similar to Daiwa Emblem's) They've been out some time in Japan, Malaysia, Europe, but you'd be hard pressed to find them in the U.S. which is a pity. Maybe if you email Shimano Japan and ask for some instruction translation, they can be helpful, or get a Japanese colleague or a nihonjin or Taiwanese board member to help you out and at least do a few quick translation of some of the kanji that might be on the instructions or on the electronic panel so you at least know how to read the panel.

Thanks Tackleholic - judging from your comments, I'm glad I bought it. Not to mention that with the Yen at a 15 year high, it would have been inefficient to exchange the yen I had back to dollars!

I spent some time poking around Shimano's Japan and US sites, and you are right that they seem to have a lot of differences in the released product.

I was also blown away by the number of rods they had at the store in Japan. I ended up getting a 7ft. "Sea-Mighty" Shimano carbon rod pimped as a great all-rounder and match for the reel.
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/cat/detail.asp?k=100181

I have Japanese friends who can help me through the manual, and I can read a bit myself, but an English one would be sooooo much easier. Oh well, all the more fun to learn about the features of my new toy!

Kook

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: