pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> RWC Skif trip 12/10 - Spiny dogfish [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:11 am
grammar police

After moving motors around, trailering the PBS to a friendís house and preparing the boat to be dropped off in Castro Valley, Ray sharking and I decided to wet some lines. Got a late start thanks to me leaving my license at home!

Boat packed and L in hand we launched at about 10am from RWC. Last trip out Dom did good in a new area so we headed back to that spot. No fish finder, radar, gps... just a typical skiff layout. So we visually line up on the spot Dom is talking about. It is a line of sight, centering the boat between the Steps and the ship wreck. We had fresh squid and shiner perch for bait. Realizing neither of us brought a camera, we figured we'll probably hook something along the lines of Moby Dick. Well at least cell phones have a moment capture device. Can't call it a camera, because with a camera you can actually see what was shot! Smile

We arrive at the spot and question each other if we actually launched in the bay, or did we arrive at some lake? There was no wind, no wind waves, a strong current and sunny 60 degree weather. The weather felt hotter on the water for some reason, and both of us quickly shed layers and were fishing in T shirts!

Pretty steady action all day and good numbers for both of us. Dom struck first landing a small 7gill. Then another 7-gill and a leopard. Wondering when it is my turn, I think to myself and change my rig. I was initially using a new prototype shark rig (More on that later, or if it ever works). Went to the standard sturgie rig, 2 circle hooks (5/0), two glass beads on a steal leader (90#). I was now using smaller hooks than Dom and it seemed to pay off. I was hooking more leopards and smaller sharks. I never saw a 7-gill on my setup.

A few more leopards each and I finally get a decent shark on. The shark has some head shakes and has a good pull to it. A short fight and she is boat side, my first spiny dogfish. Dom being the shark master, he hand gaffed the 3 1-2' shark and brings it into the boat. He points out the danger spots (2 spines like those on a ray's tail), the cool looking eyes that seemed to change color with the light reflection, and proceeds to pose for a quick cell phone photo! Damn, should have brought a real camera.

After the spiny dogfish, we each land a few more sharks, and I had a nice smooth hound which made most of the leopards look like babies. Hardly anyone out on the salty lake today...

Had a great time once again Dom. Thanks for the invite! I'll repay the favor once the PBS launches.

We continued to fish till about 2:30 making it a short day due to Christmas parties we each had to attend. Off the water and eating tacos for lunch by 3:15.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:34 pm
mel

Dude, get a job. Just kidding. Can you explain where those danger spots on the dogfish are? I never knew that and will be more careful with them. Good going on the action, Jackson.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:26 am
fakefisherman

Nice. I caught a spiny dogfish around 2' in Marin on Saturday. They're really cool lookin fish, and yeah those eyes are pretty neat. Clayman could tell you a thing or two about them, I'm sure! Dammit, Joey - no pics? What's up with that?!

Mel, the spines are in front of both dorsal fins. They don't really stand out unless you're looking at them. Very cool-looking fish....almost like a gray smoothhound or soupfin. Nice fight, too.

Hit me up when you guys take the boat out again! Maybe I'll bring the secret bait.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:01 pm
clayman

Nice sharks GP! Congrats on the dogfish. It's sometimes tricky handling them...especially if they're thrashing around in the water at night while you're trying to land them! Last October a friend of mine had his first encounter with a dogfish in Humboldt Bay, and before I could show him the danger spots at the fronts of both dorsal fins I heard him yelp in pain. The spine nearest the tail had impaled him on the thumb! He said it throbbed for a while, but after a few hours he seemed okay. Those eyes are pretty cool, especially if you shine a flashlight on them at night as they're swimming away. Reminds me of the glowing eyes the creature in Predator had.

And I agree with Fakefisherman--where's some pics? Smile
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:23 pm
grammar police

Pictures smictures... I had one of those days. I almost left myself at home.

Glad to hear a sting from them is not nearly as bad as a ray. Glad your buddy was ok; I bet he'll never try that again. Either way, I will stay alert when handling a spiny dogfish, ALWAYS.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: