pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Sacramento Fishing around Xmas? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:55 pm
baitfish

I am going to be visiting my in laws up in Placerville for Christmas and I want to try and sneek out and do some river trout fishing. I am looking to do some dry/wet flyfishing not sure if the steelies might be around or not, but I'm looking to fish smaller water. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Adam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:26 pm
eelmaster

well, it's 2 hours west, but the Russian will have steelies running at that time. I don't fly fish, so I couldn't really give you too many tips on flys and so forth.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:51 pm
2d

Adam,
Putah Creek, below Lake Berryessa, has great winter time C&R ff only fishing. it's put and take from april to nov and ff only during the winter. tailwater (bottom draw, so it stays the same temp all year) and lowland, so you don't have to contend with snow drifts on the banks.

the water will be low in the winter (good for this creek) and the fish will have at least one season under their belt, so they won't be pushovers. lots of two or more year holdovers, though, to make it interesting, and a good proportion of stream born fish as well. fish in the 12-14 inch category are normal (those planters), but lots in the parr size and many in the 16-22 inch size too. some bigger fish can be found (a 17 lb brown was caught when I was in college there about ten years ago).

re: the browns, they haven't planted browns there in years, but there's a self sustaining population of them. the slower sections will have the real beasts, and rainbow parr patterns should be able to entice them to come out to play (although I got my best brown, a 24" hook jawed male on a #20 black AP nymph).

The uppermost section is pure tailwater, down to the campground. below that, there's a section that fishes like a freestone creek. from there, long slow sections (almost like limestone creeks) are interspersed with riffly sections. as expected, bows and smaller browns in the fast sections, browns and some bows in the slower ones.

if you do fish it, think small. most bugs up there are in the #16-#20 range and dark, and the fish get a lot of pressure throughout the year anyway. darker AP nymphs, dark olive hare's ears, dark GRHE's, and PT's (all with bead heads or not-your choice) are my favorite patterns, but anything small and dark fished deep will work. there's some rising action to baetis some warm afternoons, but not enough to hang your hat on. also, some sporadic caddis action can be found, but don't count on it. For tippets, 6X is my standard. the water is stained, so I'm sure you can get away with a little heavier, but I need that small a tippet to get through my small hook eyes anyway.

also, at that time of year, the fish may be on redds (check up around the dam and the campground for redds). if so, glo bugs should work in the faster sections below. please don't fish to the spawners: there are enough idiots who do it already.

drop me a line if you want to check it out. I can give you more details if you need them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 pm
2d

Second suggestion:
not sure how it fishes in the winter, but I've always had fun in the north fork of the american up above auburn (save the time I went for a swim during spring runoff...brrrr). You probably will have some snow on the ground then, but it's another tailwater, so there should be running water. great stream whose main attraction (to me) is smallmouth bass (my favorite freshwater longrod quarry), but where you can also find rainbows and browns.
I don't know enough about the trout fishery there to give a detailed description of hatches, but the bugs are generally size #14-#18 (you can also use larger stonefly or damselfly patterns ). when i go there, I usually stick to dredging the bottom with dark wooley buggers (black and olive or a combo of this) which, in my mind's eye, can either be a big insect, a crayfish, or a minnow of some sort. the bass love them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:08 pm
baitfish

Sweet info, I'll definetly hit you up for some more. Smile

Thanks!

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:11 am
fishmom

If you do fish Putah Creek, be sure to remember the New Zealand Mud Snail issue and be careful about treating your boots, nets, and waders after your time on the water! According to the most recent Cal Fly Fisher magazine, the recommendation is equal amounts of water and Formula 409 Degreaser/Disinfectant (it must be this formula, not the regular spray you use for housecleaning), then soak for 5 minutes.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:44 pm
baitfish

I wonder what a 2 hour bath in the ocean while perching would do for them nasty little buggers. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize the mud snails had gotten up there already.

Does anyone know of any river spots on the way up to Tahoe as well? This is going to take some negotiating as the inlaws get a little testy when I go fishing on a visit. I was starting to think that the 1.5 hour drive over to Napa might be a tough sell.

Thanks again!

Adam

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: