pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Turk Head Knot on Deckhand Rod - "New Seeker Look" [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:44 pm
grammar police

A few friends and I were at a local tackle shop admiring the not so grandma seeker DH series rods. We all agreed we liked the added style of the Turk head knot (at that time, a fancy knot unknown to us non-boy scouts) and added comfort for long reel sessions. I laughed and said I'll just add some to my grandma rods, no sense in buying another.

Well, with little research and a knot encyclopedia, I managed to figure it out.

I practiced once on a 1" dowel and got frustrated working the knot tight.

Gave it another shot last night and it looked awfully perrr'dy once I straightened it out in my palm. Grabbed a DH rod and watched TV for about an hour continually tightening the knot. I figure I went the length of the rope at least 3 times. You have to start at one end and work it all the way around 3 times. My fingers were tired after the second time around. So I have maybe one more time around before tight and set!

I used the wrong grade rope for this, so consider this just practice. Took a few shots to extinguish any doubt.

Now where to find marine grade colored rope!? Ohh, the possibilities.

FWIW this was the most difficult knot I have managed to tie.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 pm
eelmaster

Dye the rope. And please don't use Rit dye.... the stuff is garbage. If the rope is nylon, silk, or wool, use acid dye. If it is a cotton or other natural fiber use a cold water reactive such as Procion. If it polyester, then you have a bit of a problem. A disperse dye will need to be used and is difficult to find in small quantities. You can get all this stuf at www.jacquardproducts.com. We are also sold at Michaels store, hobby lobby and most other craft chain stores.
So did I get a sale? hehe
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 pm
stripesidechaser

And to think I bought a Black Steel series just for that knot! Wink
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 pm
grammar police

Yeah you get a sale Monte!

If I can't find the color rope I am looking for at the boating stores, then I will buy white and dye.

I need marine grade rope though. I only had some cheap camping tie down rope. Not salt water worthy.

Thanks for the idea mang!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 pm
grammar police

stripesidechaser wrote:
And to think I bought a Black Steel series just for that knot! Wink

Once I get this down, I'll hook you up.

That is if you have other DH rods requiring the knot.

I guess it could be applied to other traditional reel seat rods.

Or do I have that backwards?
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:59 pm
santa

GP: When we (my uncle and I) used to wrap the old Calcutta bamboo for our rods, we used the turks head exclusively for decoration and holding down reel seats.
A trick to save your fingers, next time use a crochet hook of the right size for the line you are using to help work the knot tight. If you're interested in more tricks and/or other decorative turks heads to use, E-me @ mcats@sbceo.org and I can send you copies of directions I used when braiding leather for bridles.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:08 pm
grammar police

santa wrote:
A trick to save your fingers, next time use a crochet hook of the right size for the line you are using to help work the knot tight.

I'll send that email soon! I am looking into half-hitching all the railing on a boat for that socal look. Smile

Funny you mention the crochet hook, both mom and grandma suggested I knab a few when down in socal next to save my fingers... Must work like a charm!

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:22 pm
santa

When I get ur address I'll send ya a pic of a rod I just finished wrapping to give to a friend today and used 6 different sized turksheads on it. I keep a small crochet hook in my plastic zip-lock type fishing license holder for digging out backlashes. You can pic up any size you need,(I suggest stainless or aluminum for sturdy and no corrode), at your local Wally-world cheeeep!
See Ya,
Mike
ps: check out ur local hardware/lumber store for colored nylon surveyers string. Lots of cool colors and strong.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: