pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Shelf life of power bait? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:26 pm
MV Sharkie

Anyone know how long this stuff last for? Ive got a couple jars in the refridge and i have no clue wether or not to throw them away.
Thanks.

Im gonna cover my panther-martin lure with some of that trout powerbait and see how it works. I will let you guys know how the trout like it tomorrow.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:12 pm
leony

seems like it can last for years. I'm still using mine which is 3 year old I think.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:26 pm
baitchucker

As the powerbait gets older, it looses some of its buoyancy. When this happens, I usually got to a smaller hook and smaller leader. How do you tell? Simple - put it on your typical leader and dunk it in the skinny water in front of your feet. If it sinks, its time to change.
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:35 am
kin

as long as it is still soft, it is still good...keep it cap down btw...it helps seal in the moisture..
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:47 am
east bay fisher

I actually caught one of my largest rainbows on a 6 year old jar of power bait that I had from when I was little. That day I was planning on throwing lures but decided to put a old jar of yellow powerbait in my backpack.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:30 pm
castnet

Just like what baitchucker said, it should float, if it doesnt its no good. Also, if it becomes too rubbery, its getting dried out, its also no good. Other than that, it should still be effective.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:36 pm
MV Sharkie

Thanks for the info. Well the lure/power-bait combo didnt work out as well as i hoped. I only caught one trout today even though the trout were jumping everywhere. But then again no one was really catching anything so im pretty happy with my one trout.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:32 pm
ray sharking

ive limited out twice in the two times ive went, off some pretty old powerbait. shape the power bait like a worm and use it like a lure. (i like to stick a powernugget on the hook before i bait the rest of it with the dough. so it looks like its gotta head)
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: