pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> One final skunk in Freeport [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:18 pm
salty nick

Made one last try for river salmon in Freeport using spinners - pretty quiet. Fished from 6:30am-11:30am. Didn't see anything come up from shore or the few boats that were around.

Salty.

freeport_fall_morning1.jpg
 Description:
Freeport before sunrise
 Filesize:  36.2 KB
 Viewed:  2609 Time(s)

freeport_fall_morning1.jpg

freeport_fall_morning2.jpg
 Description:
Fall colors & Freeport bridge
 Filesize:  30.12 KB
 Viewed:  2609 Time(s)

freeport_fall_morning2.jpg

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:28 pm
mel

Cool pics. I know the area. I have some friends in Sac who I fish with over there and once we went out and went to this spot known to produce some nice salmon. My friend literally dropped anchor. I mean he dropped it, rope chain and everything. We cruised around hitting some tackle shops but they didn't have anchors. The only one place that did wanted about 70 bucks for one but my friend said forget it, he had an extra one at home anyways, so we tied off under the bridge in the picture and baitfished with cut sardines and caught a bunch of dink stripers. It was still a fun day though. Too bad about your skunk. Don't feel bad. I got skunked today too.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:03 am
red fish

Just being there is half the fun Salty. This has been a rough season.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:43 am
songslinger

Just so everyone knows, the salmon season is closed for ocean/bay as of 11/13 but still open until 12/31 for the area downstream Red Bluff.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:36 am
salty nick

True, was nice to be out there - even if it was a little cold in the morning. There were these huge swarms of blackbirds flying out of the trees across the river. So many of them that it looked like a swarm of locusts flying overhead. Kind of neat, 'til I saw little splashes on the river in front of me - I think they were probably poopin'. Luckily, I wasn't hit.

I was probably the second person out there. Thanks for the salmon reg reminder, SS. Even though some will still be throwing spinners up there, this was the last time for me this season. I'm sure there are more fish coming up the system, just too slow for me - especially when it's a 1.5 hr. drive one way. Time to change species.

Mel, I fished with anchovy chunks under the bridge a couple times for lots of dink stripers as well. Some guys catch some big stripers in the area on live squawfish, mostly at night though.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:31 pm
jason chin

I'm pretty much done too. I've been skunked my last 3 trips throwing spinners. I'm contemplating a last trip up to Sac this week. I need more roe for steelhead. I'm taking the easy way out and just sent a e-mail to a roe source to purchase some. If he has some I don't think I'll be going. Nice pics Salty. Time to start visiting the sturgeon haunts.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:54 pm
baitchucker

Hey Salty,

Good to see that you, at least, tried. Even the American (Sailor Bar) had been somewhat disappointing for me. I didn't even got to the closer because the quality of fish was NASTY!

Oh well, maybe next year.

Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:13 pm
salty nick

Just last week, I saw a few salmon caught that were very bright - I'm sure there are still a few bright ones shooting up the system, have to be really lucky though. Of course you also see the "living dead" salmon swimming along the bank, those that are black with white moldy patches - saw one of those yesterday. Jason, check PMs.

Salty.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: