pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> what to have with your fish? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm
frozendog

That's the question I always ask myself. I usually know how I am going to prepare the fish, but what will go with it? - something different, get tired of the same old thing. Mrs. Kittyfish has been requesting something with fresh sweet potatoes or yams. Lots of good things in those tubers. So I developed a recipe - it's been different every time I make it, changing the ingredients to what we like or have on hand. So, I started with two big Spas (sweet potatoes), peeled and diced into bite sized pieces. Added a little orange juice and microwaved for three minutes to start them cooking. Then, added a handful of raisins, some brown sugar, a little 5 spice powder, and more OJ. Covered with foil and baked 1/2 hr at 375. Uncovered and added a diced up apple and pear (sliced pineapple and dried apricots also work fine). Added a little more brown sugar and a dusting of cinnamon. Back in the oven, covered, for another 1/2 hr. Came out yummy. While we were eating, I started thinking about leftovers. So I melted a little butter in a cast iron skillet, added some of the SP mixture and covered it with instant pancake batter. Didn't fill the skillet all the way up, so it could rise. Put it in the over at 375 for 20 minutes and there was dessert - ready when dinner was over. I let it cool, then turned it over on a plate. It looked like a poor man's upside down cake. But it was good.

Next time, I will dust the top of the pancake with a little bit of brown sugar. Oh, and the fish? The fish was easy. Marinated some rockfish filets in olive oil, fresh orange juice, a little frozen oj concentrate, salt and pepper. Let sit for an hr. I put the fish in foil boats. In a pan, on the stove, I melted a little butter and sauted two big shallots and three cloves of garlic and a seeded jalepeno pepper. When all were soft, I added the reserved marinade, reduced it and dumped it on the fish. Then took the foil boats and fish out to the BBQ grill. Don't overcook.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:32 am
polishfromthedeep

WOW, now THAT was creative...
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: