pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Whooppee! Salmon limit for me today! [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:53 pm
mel

Went out on a party boat for the first and last time this year. Hopped on the New Seeker out of Emeryville for some trolling. Went north to Duxbury. good bite in the AM but slowed a little in the PM. First one for me was a 10 pounder. Not huge but a good way to break a salmon skunk. (I got skunked my last 2 times out). My second one came in the PM when desperation began to set in and the deckhand let me troll a skateboard off the back of the boat. Hooked up with a 25 pounder within 2 minutes. Pretty good bite today, considering. We were close to getting a fish per rod for about 15 to 20 people, and there were some HOGS caught today. Biggest 3 fish were in the 35 to 40 pound range. Weather was nice, people were nice, everything was nice. Too bad I can't do it more often. Now, it's sturgeon time!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:02 pm
PLugLine

Atta kid MEL! Glad to hear it, sorry I missed you. Bigger fish are starting to be a lot more common right now (49# right Patrick...) How were the deckhands and capt. harry? Anchovy or herring? How many pulls? Where on the boat where you fishing?
Way to go Mel,
PLugline
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:21 pm
pinfish

awesome. those are big.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:26 pm
mel

PLugLine wrote:
Atta kid MEL! Glad to hear it, sorry I missed you. Bigger fish are starting to be a lot more common right now (49# right Patrick...) How were the deckhands and capt. harry? Anchovy or herring? How many pulls? Where on the boat where you fishing?
Way to go Mel,
PLugline

The deckhand (Tom) was way cool and did an EXCELLENT job keeping things in order. There were a couple of tangles with fish on and he managed to work them around. One time, a guys fish went under the boat and caught 3 lines on the other side of the boat but he and the captain still managed to bring the fish in after the guy thought he lost it. Both of my fish were caught on anchovies and some were caught on herring. I was down about 33 pulls on the first fish, (yeah, I like those odd numbers), and the second one was caught at 50 pulls but I was running a flasher so it planes up a a little. I was glad Tom let me do that, as you know how those skateboards are on party boats. I was at the right side of the back of the boat. Don't know what it's called in nautical terms but I had a good spot. I also missed 2 bites, both hit and runs that dropped my weight but didn't stick.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:19 pm
clayman

Nice, very nice. I bet you got some nice fillets off those fish!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:24 pm
PLugLine

Tom and Harry run a tight ship for sure! Wow 4 hits thats awesome, more than we had all day last sunday! Skateboards,and similar type lures if run correctly, are extremely effective for the larger salmon(my largest this season came on one 26#). Were you using 20 or 30lb line?
Good stuff Mel,
Sharkin' time baby...
PlugLine
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:20 pm
salty nick

Way to go, Mel! That's a nice limit.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:18 am
fakefisherman

WTG, Mel! Can you say SMOKED SALMON?
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:12 am
red fish

Good job Mel. Fish are still at Duxbury and the season is closing November 15. A late season. Maybe fish will be moving up the river for the next two weeks or so. And I thought you were out there getting sturgeon!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:05 am
mel

PLugLine wrote:
Were you using 20 or 30lb line?
Good stuff Mel,
Sharkin' time baby...
PlugLine

#30 lb P-line cxx. I just added about about 50 yds of it over about 120 yds of 65 lb braid. Underneath the braid again is 30 lb cxx. I used my Penn 555 on a Penn 6'6" MH Power Stick. The reel was already set up for casting for sturegeon off the bank so I just added a top shot.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:20 am
mel

red fish wrote:
Good job Mel. Fish are still at Duxbury and the season is closing November 15. A late season. Maybe fish will be moving up the river for the next two weeks or so. And I thought you were out there getting sturgeon!

The bite this season hasn't been all that hot and if I'm going to get on a party boat, I want it to be more than a 75 buck boat ride. It was getting late in the season and I just couldn't wait.
BTW, I brought along about a half dozen friends so I was really glad most of them caught fish. The eldest guy with us, caught the biggest fish. 78 years old, 30# salmon. His tackle is almost as old too, he was using an old Penn reel with a 1 piece rod but the butt of it unscrews and it's made out of wood. I remember my dad had a bunch of those too.
Now, it's back to sturgeon. I will officially begin my hunt next week. "The names of spots may be changed to protect the innocent."
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:41 am
bungle

Hey, right on Mel! For a second, I thought you actually threw a skateboard deck out there. I thought I might have found a use for my deck thats just collecting dust, as its only used these days to get me around when the car is in the shop. D'oh...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:31 pm
mel

Forgot to mention the salmon roe I got. Actually, I forgot the salmon roe altogether. Had them in plastic ziplocs in my backpack and forgot they were in there until about 5PM today. They didn't smell all that great but I don't think the fish, especially sturgeon will care. I lucked out with 5 huge pouches of roe, each one about a foot long. Didn't have any Boraxo but I used rock salt to harden them and put them in the freezer. BTW: I put about an inch and a half thick steak into the smoker today and now I know why the only reason I'll go on a party boat is for salmon. Yumyum!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:27 am
ark

Hey Mel, look at it this way, at least you didnt eat the roe yourself.
Nice going on the fish. Wish I could get myself to cough up $75 for salmon.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:54 pm
baitchucker

Quote:
They didn't smell all that great but I don't think the fish, especially sturgeon will care.

Nice fish Mel. "Not so fresh roe...." The fish that we nailed today were on "fresh" roe that had been sitting in a cooler since Thursday without ice. Also, I vacuum packed it with salmon liver. mmmmmmmm.... Pate O' CACA!

The stuff worked just fine.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: