pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Shore areas of greatest importance? Santa Barbara County— [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 am
Ken Jones

Santa Barbara County Beaches——which are most important?

Posted by Ken Jones, May 2008

Santa Barbara County:

1. Rincon Point
2. Rincon Beach County Park
3. Carpinteria State Beach
4. Carpinteria City Beach
5. Lookout County Park
6. Miramar Beach
7. Hammonds Beach
8. Butterfly Beach
9. East Beach
10. West Beach
11. Leadbetter Beach
12. Mesa Lane Beach
13. Arroyo Burro Beach County Park
14. Goleta Beach County Park
15. Isla Vista Beach
16. Coal Oil Point Natural Reserve
17. El Capitan State Beach
18. Refugio State Beach
19. Gaviota State Park
20. Jalama Beach County Park
21. Vandenberg Air Force Base Fishing Access
22. Ocean Beach County Park
23. Point Sal State Beach
24. Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes

Posted by kingfisher

I have not fished all of these locations but I will rate the places I have fished....

1. Rincon Point
5. Lookout County Park—9
6. Miramar Beach
7. Hammonds Beach
8. Butterfly Beach
9. East Beach
10. West Beach
11. Leadbetter Beach
12. Mesa Lane Beach
14. Goleta Beach County Park—15 on a scale of one to ten!!
15. Isla Vista Beach
17. El Capitan State Beach—4
18. Refugio State Beach—9
19. Gaviota State Park— also a 15...I LOVE THIS PLACE!!
20. Jalama Beach County Park—4
21. Vandenberg Air Force Base Fishing Access—9
22. Ocean Beach County Park—10
24. Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes—8

Posted by polishfromthedeep

ouch.... i couldn't rate the ones i don't fish...

14. Goleta Beach County Park-10
17. El Capitan State Beach-7
18. Refugio State Beach-10
19. Gaviota State Park-10
21. Vandenberg Air Force Base Fishing Access-6
23. Point Sal State Beach-8
24. Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes-10

Posted by dompfa ben

Santa Barbara County:

1. Rincon Point

We’ve fished these areas a lot, esp. around Santa Claus Lane. I would miss these areas if they became MPAs.

5. Lookout County Park
6. Miramar Beach
7. Hammonds Beach
8. Butterfly Beach
9. East Beach
10. West Beach
11. Leadbetter Beach
12. Mesa Lane Beach

I’ve fished these areas a little. Kind of off the beaten path, so they probably receive mostly local pressure.

14. Goleta Beach County Park

Critical fishing area.

15. Isla Vista Beach

If they ban fishing here, maybe they’ll be able to deal with the burning couches issue. I don’t go near these places anymore.

17. El Capitan State Beach
18. Refugio State Beach
19. Gaviota State Park

Critical fishing areas. Lighter fishing pressure here. I expect an MPA to be placed along the 101 freeway somewhere between Goleta and Gaviota… I’m just not HAPPY about it.

20. Jalama Beach County Park
21. Vandenberg Air Force Base Fishing Access
22. Ocean Beach County Park
24. Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes

I don’t fish these areas often, but I have fished Jalama, Pt. Sal… and I always wanted to fish Guad. Limited beach access in the area (due to Vandenberg, among other things) makes these important for surf fishing.

Posted by pierhead

Re: I agree with Ben... good assessment of the fishing activity in the various areas.

My sacrifice area are the Hollister and Coho Ranches just north of Gaviota since both areas are privately owned with no public access from the shore side.

Some of the seawalls south of Gaviota and further down near the Naples reef might be other areas. With not much fishing pressure perhaps the area between East Beach Santa Barbara and Hammonds beach in Montecito might be sacrificed as well.

But that's only from a shoreliner point of view - the party boats target these areas as well and I suspect they have a lot more pull in the process.

Most importantly we need to know what areas the environmentalists (Surfrider foundation etc.) would like to close and why ... and focus our limited energy and resources on those we have valid disagreements with.

And off course all three piers and adjacent beaches should not even be in question.

Posted by hb bob

My two cents

Living in southern California and being a regular pier fisherman and gaining a lot of knowledge, after 40 plus years of fishing ive come to few conclusion I’m not a marine biologist and don’t pretend to be, my knowledge come from life experiences. Back in the late 60,s early 70,s there was very little red tide, most of the bait consisted of large anchovies. Very large queen fish (herring) and ever year you could count on large Bonita being caught by the hundreds. So you have to ask yourself what could have changed so much that we now have very tiny Bonita if at all, and I hardy see any anchovies these days. Some say it may be Global warming some say its pollution some say it’s the shore fisherman. But if it was global warming don’t you think that there would be an influx of fish for northern Baja? No I don’t thinks it global warming I think its all of us. The biggles changes ive seen in 40 years is the population and the destructions of wetlands. The loss of the nature buffer zone between homes and the ocean. Partly treated sewage causing red tides. So the question is will closing the beach to a few lonely fisherman increase the fish population the answer, no. The few fisherman that do enjoy fishing along are beaches have to buy fishing license so closing some of the beach would only cut in to the fish and games ability to enforce the law and the outgrow project for white sea bass. In fact I think if you close some of the beaches in southern California a lot of shore fisherman would simple move down to Mexico for some weekend fishing I know I already do, and Mexico loves us spending are money down there.

Closing the beaches is a stupid ideal conceived by somebody that real does not know fishing or has lived in this area for most of there life it just a way to make somebody feel good about themselves, like there doing something important to save the planet. The only thing these (do goods) could do is stop flushing their toilet stop driving their cars and stop using inorganic fertilizer on their lawns. And that’s my two cents

I think im going to retire in Florida, at least fisherman still have a few rights down there.

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: