|California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Announcement
Who: MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force for the MLPA South Coast Study Region
What: First meeting and draft agenda (see below)
When: September 8, 2008 at 9:30 a.m.
Where: Four Points by Sheraton
8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
and via simultaneous webcast on the day of the meeting at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp
- - - - - - - - - - - -
California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
Blue Ribbon Task Force
Draft Meeting Agenda
(revised August 29, 2008)
Monday, September 8, 2008
Four Points by Sheraton *
8110 Aero Drive
San Diego, California 92123
Members of the public are invited to view or listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Please visit the MLPA website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp for more information.
Public participation: The public will be invited by the chair at several points in the meeting to offer comments on agenda items. General comments on the MLPA Initiative and the work of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, not directed to specific agenda items, will be taken immediately after lunch at approximately 1:30 p.m.
Briefing documents and meeting presentations/handouts: Please note that task force briefing documents are listed at the bottom of the agenda as either attachments (received in advance of the meeting) or handouts (received on the day of the meeting).
* Receive charge from Secretary for Resources Mike Chrisman and amendment to the memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the third phase of the MLPA Initiative
* Receive presentation of draft lessons learned report for the MLPA North Central Coast Study Region and recommendations for the south coast
* Receive an introduction to the MLPA South Coast Study Region (SCSR), including existing marine protected areas (MPAs) and the draft regional profile
* Receive updates on the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group and MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT)
* Discuss the MLPA Statewide Interests Group (SIG) and potentially approve formation of the SIG for the south coast
* Review policy direction provided in previous study regions and discuss applicability to the MLPA South Coast Study Region
* Review methods for stakeholder involvement at both the statewide and regional levels
* Adopt a schedule of meetings to achieve the charge from Secretary Mike Chrisman
* Receive a briefing on the staffing and resource needs of the MLPA Initiative
* Review the 2007-2008 MLPA Initiative budget and potentially adopt a 2008-2010 budget
* Review and adopt task force operating procedures and policies
* Receive an update on the California Fish and Game Commission regulatory process for the MLPA North Central Coast Project
Note: The task force will break for lunch at approximately 12:15 p.m. Public comment will be taken immediately following lunch at approximately 1:30 p.m.
1.Welcome and introductions
2. Mandate of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
3.Amendment to the MLPA Initiative memorandum of understanding
4.Lessons learned in the north central coast
5.MLPA South Coast Study Region
6.MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
7.MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team
8. MLPA Statewide Interests Group
PROPOSED ACTION: Approve formation of the MLPA Statewide Interests Group for the south coast
9.Policy direction for the MLPA South Coast Study Region
10.Stakeholder and interested public participation
11.Project work plan and timeline
PROPOSED ACTION: Adopt schedule of meetings for the MLPA South Coast Study Region
12.Staff planning and resources
13.MLPA Initiative budget
PROPOSED ACTION: Adopt MLPA Initiative 2008-2010 budget
14.MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force operations and policies
PROPOSED ACTION: Adopt task force operating procedures
PROPOSED ACTION: Adopt MLPA Initiative policy on transparency
PROPOSED ACTION: Adopt reimbursement guidelines for MLPA Initiative activities
15.MLPA North Central Coast Study Region
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) and ask them to contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.653.5656.
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.