Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Anyone got recent info on the major salmon rivers? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:17 pm
PLugLine

Hey guys,
Pretty new to salmon fishing in fresh water, but am plenty willing to give it a shot. Any recomendations for loctions and or gear/tactics would be greatly apprectiated. I am thinking about the 16/17th as a possible two day trip to either the American or the Sac...
Thanks in advance,
Ian
Loomis for life...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:26 pm
salty nick

I just came back from fishing the Freeport area in the south Sacramento/Elk Grove area - very slow! Saw a handful of fish (3) for what must've been 40-50 people throwing spinners in the Sac River. Used Mepps #5 spinner w/ 3/4 oz. egg sinker & swivel about 2ft. above it, on an 8.5' rod, 14# test.

I've heard the American River is starting to improve, so that might be a better bet. However, I don't fish that area - so I can't help you with specific areas or techniques.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:11 pm
PLugLine

Right on Salty! Excellent info man, I'll use it next weekend but for now I'll be practicing my casting at Benicia (tommorow), with hopes of a salmon in mind...
Training on the Primetime on monday, hoping to be a deckhand...
PLugLine
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:04 pm
pinfish

Benicia first street is not a place to practice casting. That's advance casting area: Snags. crowds. rocky footing. criss cross lines. wind. current... Just friendly advice.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:29 pm
PLugLine

Hey man,
I was out there (Benicia) today with E.B.F. and Sharksnagger and we did fine. Sure no salmon were had by us, but we weren't rookies dickin' around.
Practice...
PLugLine...
Loomisss....
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:06 pm
songslinger

I know where a nice sized school of salmon is. I was watching it today, about five times beyond the reach of my best cast but still near enough to taunt. It's that big crowd of kings wandering down from Bodega. I saw it from Kehoe Beach. Slow moving, feeding and loitering between Duxbury and the mouth of Tomales. No clouds on the horizon, nothing changing the situation soon.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:15 pm
baitchucker

Hey Songslinger, Yep, we've been RSKing some decent fish out close to the beaches over by Rocky Point. We even picked up a couple of butts in the same general location.

Anyway, PlugLine - I'll be hitting the American up at Sailor Bar about everyday for the next 3 weeks starting Tuesday. We do the bead thing up there. About 30 - 50 of us get all comfy like, elbow to elbow. It's actually alot of fun, like pierfishing or party boating.

Yes, we even have protocols as to when to cast and what to do in case of a hook up, crossed lines, or in a snag. In fact, we have a protocol for when you are hooked up, in a snag with someone crossed over your line! The regulars keep it pretty well policed and the newbies catch-on really quick.

Season ends from the Cable Crossing to Gatey Park on Nov. 1st. That will end my river salmon season and begin my winter haunts.

Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:20 pm
PLugLine

Right on Baitchucker, I just returned from a nice day at the Islands with full limits on the boat. I am getting sorta tired of the ol' rockfish and lingcod deal...time to catch me a salmon! Speaking of salmon Slinger, I saw "your school" today, 10 of the members anyway, or shall I say "former members". All of which were caught (on the Primetime) trolling either herring or chovies with the top fish weighing 28 lbs. A good day to be training indeed...
PLugLine
One more thing: How long of a leader is recomended for a "newbie" when using beads on the American? I heard from B.P. John yesterday that he uses a 15 foot leader! Scary business...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 am
baitchucker

Yep. 12 - 15 ft. is common. Some guys use longer leaders. It's kinda hard to explain, but because of the lack of weight at the end of the leader, the hook and bead(s) usually track the lead weight perfectly. Remember, the weight is set above the actual leader much like a sliding leader rig. So optimally, the weight during the cast is usually only a foot way (or so) from the rod tip. Therefore, when tossing a 15ft leader, all that hook movement is occuring 8 1/2ft above your (and everyone elses) head.

Usually, there are only 3 instances where people get in trouble.

1. Walking to close to the back of the casting line.

2. Standing at the bottom of your upstream neighbors drift. So usually, your cast will start just down stream from you. If your downstream neighbor (or you) is standing too far in front of the casting line, he's gonna get his leg caught.

3. Not letting the current provide the leader enough drift to start your cast. Letting the current hold your leader taunt prior to the cast allows the hook and bead(s) to correctly track the weight during the cast. Failure to do this will usually just cause the leader to snag in the rocks just in front of you. Occasionally, the hook snags you in the leg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:51 pm
PLugLine

Again good info man. I'll keep it all in mind when I'm out there. What's your recomdation for line (color and test)? Is a large reel required (can I get away with a calcutta 250 or should I go to a corvalus 400)?
Thanks a bunch man,
PLugLine
Berkeley after the PSAT tommorow....
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:56 pm
baitchucker

Mainline color means little to the fish or anglers. What we are looking for is the breaking strength. Right now, I'm using P-line 10# test with a 8# leader. The leader color tends to get more attention.... but I still don't think it matters too much. Still, I'm not gonna take a chance if I don't have to... I use Vanish.

As far as your reel, the calc. 250 is perfect. I use Abu Garcia 3600 Eons.

When the traffic builds and the fish really start moving in, I'll go with 14# main and 12# leader. As well, I'll start using a Abu-Garcia Eon 5600.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:02 pm
baitchucker

Fished the middle grounds of Sailor Bar on the American River between 11a-2p. Lotz of elbow room as I only saw 5 anglers. Caught one hen about 12#. C&R as she was starting to get really dark. Will probably do the same tomorrow.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:41 pm
baitchucker

Fished the same grounds as Tuesday with the same Techniques as well. Bagged three hens from 17 to 22lbs. C&K these gals. Not quite dime quality, but they'll do on the smoker. Plus, I really need their roe for some extra curricular activity in the Delta.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 pm
baitchucker

Middle of Sailor Bar again. C&R 2 dark bucks. 1 in the mouth and one on pectoral fin. Both were small... approx. 6-8lbs. Due to the tough conditions on this part of the river, not much angler traffic to contend with. As well, the usual gibby chuckers have yet to make an appearance.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:20 pm
PLugLine

Patrick,
When you approach the Sailor Bar entry gate, do you go left or right (when directly facing the river)? Last weekend I saw a couple of guys fishing about 200 yards upstream (or river or w/e..) from us. We fished adjacent from this little slender island, in a really deep hole with really fast current. One guy, who limited, said he was using 4 oz. weights just to touch bottom...(too much for me man..)Thanks for the reports too. I am salmon fishing this weekend too, but I am not sure where yet...
PLugLine
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: