pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Anyone know of a quick way to strip guides and rod finish? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 pm
tackleholic

I have a couple of fairly new rods with cracked ceramic guides. I don't really like the guides anyways but like the rest of the blank, reel seat etc, so I was thinking of tearing off the guides and rewrapping them with better guides. Anyone know of a relatively quick, clean shortcutt to get that rod finish off so I can rewrap the rod? I know burning the finish would make that finish blister, but it also might damage the blank so I don't want to go that route.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:13 pm
hikingjay

DO NOT apply heat to remove the finish! You'll risk injuring the graphite on the rod blank.

Here's what I do. Take an x-acto knife or other sharp blade and put the backside (the not sharp side) of the blade against the blank and begin sliding the point of the blade gently into the finish over the threads. Basically, you have the knife running parallel to the rod blank and perpendicular to the threads. By doing this, make an incision into the finish and threads until you can pick the finish open and start unraveling the thread. As you unravel the thread, the finish will just pop off the blank in little bits until all the thread and the guide are removed.

Once you get the thread and guides off there will be some flecks of finish still on the blank. Take a piece of hard plastic (I use the burnishing tool that I use for wrapping guides) and run it back and forth over the remaining bits of finish until just about all of the finish is gone.

Finally, I take a piece of Scotch Brite, or a polishing rag (extremely high grit) and finish the spot where the guide and threads were to a smooth finish. Sometimes you'll have a few stubborn pieces of finish that remain even after this step. In those cases I GENTLY use my knife blade to pick those remaining pieces off and re-do the Scotch Brite step.

Follow these steps and you'll maintain the integrity of the rod blank, and when you re-wrap your rod it will be nicer than when it was brand new. Good luck!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 am
tackleholic

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I found a 10 ft surf rod new with one cracked guide, has one big spinning guides on it so thinking about converting it into a cheap 2-piece conventional jigstick or surf rod that I could keep stowed away when needed.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:18 pm
gyozadude

You can apply some heat to the base of the guide feet, but as Hikingjay recommended against, DO NOT apply direct flame to the blank. A number of folks here recommend a hair dryer, to soften the finish on the guides. Work fast and cut along the base of the guide parallel to the feet with soft repeating strokes. Apply more heat if you need to with hair dryer. I cut just one side on both feet (if double footed) and then press hard sideways and it pops out.

Most of the time, the epoxy finish mostly comes off with the wrapping thread. But there's usually a blob in the middle on a double footed guide. Applying more mild heat to warm it up helps peel it off. I use a plastic knife or plastic paint scraper to get persistent blobs off. A sharp metal blade could cut and lift a long sliver of blank with would be bad.

For the rest of the finish, I take light sand paper and throw the rod in my motor/lathe and turn it lightly near the guides and then give the whole blank a fine sanding with 600 - 1000 grit wet-dry. Then I refinish the whole blank. I do this if I plan to re-space the guides for improved action.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:16 pm
tackleholic

Now that's a great idea to use a hair dryer. Thanks
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35 pm
billfishhead

if you dont care about the guides then use a round file to remove the wrappings directly over the guide feet, then after the guides are off just pull the remainding thread off. cmoothe with 110 right where the gutdes and underwraps were

take care when using an x acto as old rods may separate and then you have a major problem

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: