pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Anyone actively pracitce catch and release sturgeon fishing? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:20 pm
sleepingisnicer

i was just curious since these fish are so slow growing, low fecundity until larger sizes, overall declining numbers, etc. and it got me wondering about how many people who target these fish release ones that are within the legal slot limit. just curious, not trying to guilt trip anyone.

tight lines
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:59 pm
baitchucker

Hey SIN!!! Sorry we missed you at the Montezuma Slough shindig. I ran about 10 minutes late in getting to the meeting place, but then headed out to redbarn and waited until 6:30. Didn't see anyone else, so I went back home to pickup the boat. You didn't miss much... It was pretty much like fishing inside a turbine.

Anyway, without a doubt, I've let more legals go than I've kept. Crazy as it seems, I'm the only one in my ENTIRE family (both sets of parents included) that enjoys sturgeon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:58 am
rock hopper

I've never caught a legal, but DO fish for sturgeon and DO NOT ever plan on keeping one.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 pm
stripesidechaser

I released all of mine this year! Oh wait, I only caught undersized and oversized... does that still count? Wink
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:53 pm
songslinger

Have not kept one in years. Personal choice as a quiet dissent to all the slaughter from roe entrepreneurs, meat hunters, and derby profiteers. Rarely posted on catching them either.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:09 pm
ark

Never tried for one. C&R for me if I caught one accidentally.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:46 pm
mel

Well, since you asked, I'll be honest to say I've kept 3 this year. But now that my "fever" is dwindling away, I may keep 1 a year for the smoker. It's hard not to keep when I get caught up in the moment and can't wait to bring it home to my wife and brag about it to my brother and bring him some too. I used to keep every keeper striped bass I caught. Now my wife is tired of them and so am I, so I don't keep much anymore.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:57 pm
baitchucker

Hey Songslinger, do you remember your "Celebrating Sturgeon" post a few years back?

After seeing your post today, I had to go back and re-read it just to remind myself of how wonderfulness of these beasts.... Darn near magical.
[url] Http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb_archives.mv?SearchDatabase=8&viewid=5296 [/url]

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: